WOuld you allow your 12 (almost 13) year old to have a facebook page?I am asking because my brother thinks my parents are being mean and i happen to argee with my parents.. I do not think 12 year olds need a facebook, myspace or anyother page... opinions?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I think that is too young.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 9:44 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My soon to be 13 year old just got his facebook page. I done it so that he can keep up with practice dates and time changes. I set it up for him, I have his password. I check it everyday and I have to approve of all his friends. If at anytime I find something that is questionable I told him I would delete it. All his friends are his ball team mates and coaches. Now myspace in my opinion is totally different. I have both, and I know that people can get away with alot more on Myspace, so I told him he couldn't have one until he is 16.
    t_06_twins

Answer by t_06_twins at 9:46 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My two sisters are 11 and 13 and both have myspaces AND facebooks and do wonderfully with them. Only friends from school (and like ALL their friends have them too) and family can access their pages and they have fun! I think it's fine as long as it's monitered in such a way that prevents bad things from happening.
    BlazzinBebe88

Answer by BlazzinBebe88 at 9:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My 11yr old has a facebook page. I helped him set it up. I have his ID and password and I monitor the page everyday.
    offrdngal

Answer by offrdngal at 10:39 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My 13 and 12 year old both set them up this year,Their college age sister help them set up their pages.Their coaches and youth group leaders at church use it a lot to communicate.LOL They thought I was hyper with the monitoring every day ha nothing like an older sister watching also.Her college is 600 miles away but hear from her frequently concerning their pages.She thinks I can be too lenient hmmmm she never says this as I monitor hers also..

drfink

Answer by drfink at 1:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I just set my 12-year-old son son up on Facebook. His best friend moved across the country, and it is a nice way for them to keep in touch. I know his password, and am a friend, so have pretty close tabs, though. It is a nice way to communicate if you use is properly.
    soccermama-3

Answer by soccermama-3 at 2:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• In my house, when you turn 12, your can have a facebook and a myspace page. The computer is in the dining room, which is a main area of the house, so I can monitor as needed. With four kids, who have all friended each other, and I am a friend on their pages, its easy to keep tabs on their activity, and they will rat each other out, if there's a problem.
    But like ppl stated above, they use facebook as a way to communicate with relatives that live far away and for their sports teams, which have pages with info on them.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 6:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We let our daughter have one in sixth or seventh grade (she is now in 9th grade). We monitor it closely (yes, we have her password). It is a great tool for keeping in touch with friends from camp, who live all over the midwest; and friends who have moved away. She also uses facebook for group projects at school

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I used to agree.... then my oldest turned 12 and wanted facebook. And when he said everyone else had one, they really did. Just about every kid he goes to school with has one. He wore me down and now all 3 have them (9, 11, almost 13) and they are all really good with it. To be completely honest, the only reason the other 2 wanted them is for the games. They play farmville, farkle and bejeweled. lol.... I keep a close eye on what they're doing, always. I monitor their messages and friends lists. they are friends with only people they know in person. Actually, that's a lie.... they have a few friends of friends on their list because they needed neighbors in farmville. And by the way..... I gave in.... I'm a level 27 farmer! :)
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 8:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My 13 yr old has a Facebook and My Space page but I set them up and only friends and family can access them. She enjoys keeping up with her friends on a daily basis. With that said, I do a periodic check about every week of her friends just to make sure I know them all!
    firemans_baby

Answer by firemans_baby at 10:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010