Any one ever gotten their ears pierced and had trouble from it?

One of my daughters has gotten her ears pierced twice - once in 2005 and another time in 2007. The first was at a mall kiosk and I was there. The second time was with our ped and during the two month twist and clean period she got a lump and the bleeding started again.

Do you think it's possible that some girls/women are just not meant to have pierced ears in their bodies? I really just think it's cause she didn't clear around her earrying good enough.

lfl

Asked by lfl at 10:41 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I had my ears pierced for the first time when I turned 30. I had lots of trouble with them at first but I discovered I can only wear 14k gold. Same with my 8 year old daughter.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• You know I think she didn't clean well enough too. I thought I got 14K earrings - a jeweler in my town says he can pierce them and she won't get an infection but not sure how that can be. You'd think the ped's methods would have been good enough
    Maybe she didn't do the regular cleanings. She's 18 now compared to having them done two years ago and longer.

So maybe she's more grown up now, I know she'd love that.
    Wish there were nice clip on and screw earrings around like when I was a kid.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• heathermarie32 what kind of trouble did you have, you mean bleeding and a lump? My daughter didn't need antibiotics at all.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 10:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Whenever my ear or both earlobes hurt,I wipe them clean with alcohol on cotton. Or hydrogen peroxide. You have to keep it clean.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My daughter had this same issue. Turns out she can only wear gold earrings. The first time I thought it was because we didn't clean it well enough because so I was extra careful the second time but she was still having problems months after the second piercing (which was 1 1/2 after the first one). Someone suggested I try gold, and we haven't had any problems since, unless we get something that isn't real gold.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 10:56 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I had trouble when I had my ears pierced as a teenager, they would get infected all the time and I had to use hydrogen peroxide to clean them, it went on that way for a few yrs. ..I bought only hypo allergenic earrings and eventually they stopped getting infections, haven't had problems since.
    Anonymous

• The first time I got my ears pierced at 12, they were too small and when the person pierced them they pulled my ear lobe out and the hole ended up being all cockeyed. They were really painful, and started to scar a little, so we had to let them heal and re-pierce them later. I still have tiny lumps of scar tissue in my ear lobes. I don't wear earrings a whole lot now; like pp, certain metals irritate my ears and make them itch and burn, and those are the kinds that I have.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 11:13 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• In total I have had my ears peirced 12 times ! Most of the times were before I was a 13 and I would just let them grow over or something... but int he last couple of years I have gotten the second hole done a couple of times and have had to let them grow over, because they got sore ( even thought I cleaned and took care of them) same thing with the top of my ears... but my regular , first holes, are fine and I have had them for about 10 years.....

My daughter has been begging to get hers done..my husband told her she can and we will take her this weekend, but we will see...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 11:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Just have her take it out to clean it, drain the blood etc It'll be fine. This happened to me with m cartilage piercings. I just kept do the care and it healed just fine.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 11:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I had that issue when I was a kid. They didn't pierce well until the third time. I think maybe I gave up too early the first two times. Then, I went a little nutters and pierced my ear 6 times! I took that out though in '93. All that, and now I never wear earrings.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:32 PM on Jan. 17, 2010