blending to read

Please help me my DD is in K- she is doing well but she is NOT getting blending to sound out words-- she knows her site words by memorization same with her decodable books--its memorization not "reading"-- I feel this being a snowball effect soon-- we practice daily plus online stuff like star fall but she is just not getting it... help

MELRN

Asked by MELRN at 10:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when mine began reading (she is in K too) i worked mostly with sounds of individual letters. then i would show her short words that were unfamiliar to her at the time and asked her to sound it out letter by letter. and then when she sounds each letter u help her blend them all together. i kept introducing a new word each week until she got the hang of sounding things out instead of remembering which letters made which words.
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• we don't do site words. My dd is also K age, but we homeschool. We use the book Phonics Pathways as our reading/phonics cirriculum and it is awesome. She is already reading on a 2nd grade level. For online sites, try www.starfall.com and www.progressivephonics.com

I cannot say enough about Phonics Pathways, it takes major baby steps, so you can move as fast or as slow as you need to. You can get it from your library or amazon for about 20 bucks
    Anonymous

• make sure she knows the sounds for each individual letter

use words that have the site words as endings to start her on reading:

if AT is the site word, write out words like, cat, hat, bat, sat, have her tell you what sound the first letter makes, then cover the first letter and have her tell you what word she sees, then let her see the full word and put the sounds together (Dr Seuss books work well for this, especially hop on pop)

When she gets the hang of doing this with sight words, start showing her letter combinations (th, ing, sh, st, etc.) and show how you can add those on to words she knows, etc.

Also, show her how big words can be made of smaller words, or have smaller words in them

Anonymous

• haha I used the wrong "sight" through almost my whole post! Sorry!
    Anonymous

• just so you know, as we learn to read, then we memorize word shapes, and rarely 'read' words. most of what we take in is because we recognise the shape of the word or sentence and actually reading a word is very laborious. ths mns w cn rd wrds wth lttrs mssng ...

don't worry too much, unless it is obviously holding her back.
    good luck :)
    Sachar

Answer by Sachar at 5:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We labeled everything in the house: door, window, stove, etc.
    The Bob books are really great.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It took my daughter a while to learn to read. She's in 1st grade, but when she was in K, she memorized her sight words which I'm told is true. It will take time, my daughter had to learn her sight words and then once she did that the words starting coming easy for her. With reading lots of books, some with a couple of words on the page. We have th old Dick and Jane books which helped her learn the words better. Since the books start with one or two words and then as the book goes deeper the words get smaller and more words come on the page.
    I found this website helpful in helping my daughter learn to read;
    http://www.yourchildlearns.com/bridge-to-reading.html

Don't make a big deal about it, I did in the beginning. They will pick it up and then you'll be amazed.
    happynewyorker

Answer by happynewyorker at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• First of all, memorizing is reading. It's a very important part of reading. The English language is very complicated and many commonly used words can't be sounded out, so to be a proficient reader it is very important that children can identify words without always sounding them out.

I can see why you are concerned that this might cause a snowball effect, but unless her teacher is concerned I wouldn't panic yet. Depending on the curriculum, she may not have even been taught how to blend sounds into words yet. Kindergarten curriculums across the country move a different paces. Most focus on individual letter sounds for the first half of the year. So blending sounds into words may be a new skill.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If she knows her letter sounds you can help her by modeling how to sound out words when you read to her. When you come to a simple word stretch out the sounds before saying the word. Point at each letter as you say the sound. Don't ask her to do it until she's interested. Watching you model the skill will help her understand that sounding words out is part of reading grown ups don't don't have to do often, but it helps kids when they are learning.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 11:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thanks Ladies!!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:56 PM on Jan. 19, 2010