are Muslim brides allowed to say no to getting married to a man?

What does it say about this in the Koran?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, it is the women's choice to marry a man. If you see forced marriages that is not from Islam but from tradition/culture.
    We are also allowed to divorce although that is to try to be avoided of course (if possible).
    GDIMOM

Answer by GDIMOM at 12:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The woman MUST consent to the marriage, if she doesn't give her consent to the union the marriage is null and void. A woman can not be forced into a marriage, period. If someone has put such an evil opression on her they are OUTSIDE of Islam and NOT practicing the religion correctly.
    NCMommy2be

Answer by NCMommy2be at 1:14 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I wonder if the 8 yr old little girl Mohammed married consented?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• anonymous- are you here to cause problems? if you want to know about Islam then do it with intelligence please that would behighly appreciated. if you'd like to know the situation about our beloved Prophet Muhammad peace blessings be upon him and his marriage to Our Lady Aisha - may God be pleased with her..then check your intentions of asking first. is it for knowledge or just to ridicule an ideology a way of life that you fear or don't want to understand?? if its for knowledge then pm me and ill be happy to explain..if not, (which i kind of think it is seeing that you arent brave enough to post your name up there and i could be wrong) then your false assumptions will remain false.

for the record Prophet Muhammad peace & blessings be upon him NEVER used force upon anyone in marriage, in companionship, with believers or disbelievers...but then again, you don't know about him do you? Hence..a reason to seek knowledge!

muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 8:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Do you realize that when he did that is was hundreds of years ago, and that women that age were married if they had reached womanhood...dont be an asshole if you dont even know what your talking about...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• In this country we condemn pedophiles, as we should, they're sick, twisted perverts. But if you're a muslim man, and you want to take a child bride, people turn their heads the other way and make excuses for it. I'm not the least bit "afraid" of islam, nor do I have any desire to "understand" it. I know, and understand all I care to know about mohammed and the barbaric things he did, or had done, to people.

MaiasMommmy, are you a muslim? Calling people an "asshole" sure speaks loudly of your character. Typical though. Most of the muslim women I've run into on this site are pretty foul-mouthed. I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Oh, and FYI, an 8 yr old little girl hasn't "reached womanhood." Looks like you don't know what you're talking about.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Anon: Look at history. This did not happen yesterday, but a long time ago. It was normal in every culture for a girl to become a woman when she began menstruating and to be married at that time.
    If Prophet Muhammed (PBUH) was a "pedophile" then the Christian God and Joseph was also. Mary was 12 when she was engaged to Joseph, a man with sons older than she was and gave birth to Jesus at 12-13.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 AM on Jan. 19, 2010