I have to ask, what is the point of preaching against a religion instead of talking about your own?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• For the same reason politicians run attack adds against the other candidate...they think it makes THEM look better.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I know what you mean!

I am personally turned off by the people that bash other religions. I would much rather hear all sides nicely put out there for me to hear. Seeing a baptist bash a catholoic just makes me not want to go to a baptist church, etc.

I've posted a few questions recently as I'm looking more into my spirituality, and have been just shocked at some of the responses I got from these "religious" women!
    Anonymous

• You are right. I was raised Church of Christ. And not only my church but a lot of Churches of Christ preached against other denominations, putting them down and even went as far as to say "we" are the only ones who will get into heaven and the others are going to hell because they listen to music.

Probably why I no longer am apart of that religion.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Most religions have no problem bashing gay people. People bash others as a form of bonding...you unite against an injustice or lack of morals....AKA fear mongering.
    Anonymous

• I actually do talk about my own religion...quite often :-)
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i talk about mine too, a lot of people just dont want to hear it.
    Anonymous

• Like Mamak88 said, the same reasons politicians do it. One group says all this horrible stuff about another to make themselves look better. Personal bashing is usually a result of insecurity in the individual's own beliefs. "look at me, I'm so righteous, crushing this horrible _________ person's false ideas" Same reason teens bully each other to make themselves feel better.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I couldn't agree more! There is NO better way to turn people away from Christianity for instance than to bash or be ignorant towards other faiths. The teaching of Christ is to LOVE all with out conditions - and to NOT judge for any reason. That is what I stand by. You win more flies with honey than vinegar!
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 12:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree totally with RutterMama. The bible also teaches 'love your neighbour' you cant be doing that if we are bashing each other.
    kalada

Answer by kalada at 5:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2010