What is a good dog for kids?

We had a really sweet lab that we had to give up once we moved into our apartment. But I was wondering what other breeds are good with kids? I have two boys that are fairly young so itll be a little while before we can get a dog...Right now, I am looking into adopting a dog instead of forking out a ton of cash (there are always puppies for adoption around here!). Gimmie some ideas on what to look for!

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 11:18 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pets

• If you look at the history of a mastiff, they were used to protect children. They're huge but great with kids.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Any kind of Lab
    boogernoodle

Answer by boogernoodle at 11:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• boxers are very family oriented and great protectors of their family. I never once worried that mine would be an issue with my daughter when she was a baby. She irritates him and chases him and he just plays along and takes it. Great dogs!
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:29 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• Ours is a lab/ chow, and he is really wonderful with children. He has a really playful, but gentle disposition, housebroke himself, and rarely barks...never bites.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• basset hounds are great with kids, my daughter has had her basset since her 2nd birthday (she is now 5) He is so good with her and patient he loves to cuddle with her while watching tv and pretty much puts up with anything she dishes out lol even playing dress up lol.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Labs for sure. But for a smaller dog I recommend a beagle. They are so gentle and loving and loyal. Both dh and I had one growing up and we have one for our kids now too. She is fun and energetic and the kids have so much fun with her, but she is gentle enough and small enough that she doesn't hurt them.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Corgi ! They are great lil dogs and apparently the herding instinct is strong enuff in mine she will keep the kids away from the driveway and any other "dangerous" things. Also VERY loyal little dogs, and little enuff to keep anywhere (house, apartment, whatever) with the heart of a lion!!!!!!!
    itsallgood0100

Answer by itsallgood0100 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have an english mastiff and a basset hound. Both are VERY good with my 2 young kids!
    ang0343

Answer by ang0343 at 12:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Labs are great wtih kids, but they are also big biters. Bash me if you must.

Pit bulls are fantastic with kids...if you train them properly. They are not the killer dog they are made out to be.

The best way to find out what kid of dog fits your family is to sit down with your husband and talk about what kind of dog characteristics you both want in a dog. Then, find a book that has both rare breeds and more common breeds in it (the royal canin encyclopedia) is a good one. Find the breeds that have the characteristics you listed and then call breeders (you don't have to go that way) and ask to speak to them about their breeds. They will tell you the good, the bad, the ugly.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 8:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There are breed specific rescue..meaning that they have only one breed they focus on. If you have young kids, a rescue might be the better way to go. Rescues can match a dog to your family's needs slightly better than a shelter can. They also know more of the dog's past (unless it was a stray of course). Shelters do also work to place a dog with the proper family, but they may not know if the dog is good with kids.

Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2010