Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

do u have gingivitis/ periodontitis?? Please Answer!

If you do..
-What has your treatment plan been?
-How many teeth have you lost? How fast?
-When losing teeth, do you get them pulled? Get root canals?
-How old are you? How old when you got the disease?
- Any other advice?

Im 26! I just found out I have periodontitis! Its so depressing!


Asked by Anonymous at 11:19 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Health

This question is closed.
Answers (7)
  • I'm a dental hygienist. I treat periodontal disease. The first thing you need is a periodontal pocket charting done. Pocket depths of 1 to 3 are within normal range. Pockets deeper than 4 should be treated.
    Depending on your readings you might need a gross debridement followed by a second appt. for a propylaxis. You will then be put on a regular appointments either every 4 or 6 months.
    If it is more severe you'll need quadrant scalings and be numbed to clean under the gum line. This will take 2 or 4 visits. You will then be put on a 3 month perio maintainance schedule.
    The most important aspect is home care. Floss at least once a day and brush at least twice a day - before bed is the most important time to brush.
    Periodontal disease can be treated and you may not lose any teeth.
    PM me if you have questions.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • It depends on how bad it is - my daughter had it about 17 yo and she had little patches of antibiotics put in under her gums to clear it up. The severeity of it depends on the pocket reading. She didn't need scaling and planing for it cuz of that. Our insurance called that chemo and wouldn't pay for it. It was then, now about 5 years ago, 25 dollars for one gum patch.

    There is a script mouthwash that might help but cuz it's tetrycyclene (sp?) it can sometimes stain teeth even of adults - just be sure to keep up on cleanings.

    If dentist says you need the scaling and planing you can still get a second opinion. Good Luck!

    Answer by lfl at 11:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

  • whatever you have to do to keep your teeth, do it, dont miss your appointments. I'm 36 and i've lost almost all my teeth. some where pulled, some fell out. thank God for insurance, i was able to get a partial and you cant really tell, but try to do the best you can. good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • I don't know what those two words mean- I haven't been to a dentist since '05 and I smoke like a chimney. I still have all my teeth, but the doctor hasn't told me differently. Good luck!

    Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • I had gum surgery at 24. I am now 49. I floss every night; red tip every night, brush at least twice a day. I still have all of my teeth, and will probably have another graft done later this year.

    Answer by rkoloms at 6:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • In answer to your other questions - Root Canal Treatment is not done for periodontal disease. RCT is for an infected tooth. Periodontal disease does not age discriminate. I have treated teenagers. The prescription mouth rinse that the OP referred to is Chlorhexadine. It is an anti - microbial rinse.

    Tooth loss is individual. I have seen patients progress slowly, others progress rapidly, but the majority of patients do not have to experience tooth loss.

    If the disease is too advanced, the dentist may refer you to a Periodontist. A Periodontist may treatment plan for surgery.

    80% of the population has some form of periodontal disease at some point in their lives. To prevent periodontal disease you should have your teeth cleaned 2 to 4 times a year by a hygienist. We remove the hard deposits that form on your teeth. Brushing and flossing only removes the soft deposits (plaque)


    Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • The last thing you need to know is gingivitis is only inflammation of the tissue. It's the first stage of periodontal disease and is reversable. Periodontal diseaese means you have had bone loss which is not reversable.

    Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2010