babysitting with short or no notice??

my SIL called me last week and asked if i would keep her son for her, and although i am busy with my kids, i agreed. she said it would only be for a little while, which is fine bc she has helped me out when i needed a babysitter.
well i called to ask what time he would get here bc i have to plan out my day and i cant do that until i know what is going on. now she tells me that she wont know until the night before? and that it may not even happen?
how can i tell her that in the future i need to know the details a few days in advance (which is what i always do for her, always. i give her a weeks notice, follow up the morning before to make sure she knows and then stick to my plan) so that i can do the things that i need to.
i dont want to sound like a jerk but as a single mom, doing school work, raising the kids and working...i need to know how to juggle it all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• If it's just one time, or if it a situation where an emergency comes up, then I wouldn't say anything. But if she's asking you to watch him for everyday for a couple weeks or more than just one day, then I would tell her that you need to know AT LEAST 24 hours in advance what her plan is. You're working HER into YOUR schedule to help her out because she asked you to. If she wants your help, she needs to understand and respect what you need from her. You don't have to be rude, just tell her that it's really hard to make it work with such short notice. You want to be able to help her but this is how it has to be.
    Megs5384

Answer by Megs5384 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• I would just explain to her that you do have a lot going on or a very busy schedule, and if possible you really need to know exactly what time she needs you to sit. Tell her you are a schedule junkie or what ev to make a joke of it?
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would let her know the hours that you will able to keep her child

Answer by rkoloms at 6:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2010