How can I tell if my son was not circumcised enough?

The skin still folds over his penis and it kindda looks like we didnt have it done...He is only 5 months old and so if he needs to have a ummm touch up, then I want it done now before he is crawling and everything. The cap they place on it once its done came off super quick as well.
Is this possible? I am going to ask his doctor this week anyway but I am just curious if any other mommas had this happen or have heard of it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You WANT some extra skin... if they take off too much then when he's older he won't be able to have a full erection. But you do need to pull the extra skin back with each diaper change so he doesn't develop adhessions.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:03 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'd ask his pedi at his next check up.

my hubbies wasn't quite done enough when he was a baby. As he grew, that extra bit retracted and you can't hardly tell. It's no big deal.
    Anonymous

• my son's problem was that the skin would reattach itself to the head and the dr had to pull it back twice. no infections just a little bit of whiny baby and it was done.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• My youngest son is the same and angevil53. The skin reattaches and his pedi has pulled it back twice. I have actually wondered the same thing as you, but his pedi said it was fine....but she does have to keep pulling it back. So how is that fine? I dunno......question for next time!!
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Some extra skin is needed and totally normal. The skin will try to reattach and grow back but it does NOT need to be pulled back at every diaper change. When you're cleaning him, youll see if it is starting to try to heal and grow back together. There will be a slight bump filled with a whitish glue like fluid. That is when you need to pull it back. It will sting your son for a second but he'll get over it pretty quickly. My son only had to have it pulled back twice before he was fine. Pulling it back too often can lead to a lot of discomfort and possibly more infections.

Im not sure what the "cap" you're referring to is as we were told to just use a little gauze and ointment afterward.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 12:22 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son also has a "loose circumcision". After researching it a little I learned that it is more recommended to not take "as much" foreskin because "too much" removed can cause problems when he is a man (too tight - painful erections). My son also has some adhesions, and this concerned me...I wrote an e-mail to my pediatrician requesting he tell parents about pulling the skin back to prevent these b/c I never knew to do that. He replied and said that is not recommended. It is painful, can lead to infections, and result in further adhesions. He told me that in 90+% of boys who have penile adhesions, they "correct themselves" (detach) on their own by the time they are 3 years old. He said it was once thought best to pull it back, but they (pediatric community) now know that it isn't necessary...and can be more harmful than helpful.
    I, personally, would not consider having another procedure.
    one_on_the_way

Answer by one_on_the_way at 10:54 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I have the problem of my sons reattaching to! Only it's apparently bad enough that every time I change him and give him a bath I have to pull it back. I've been doing this for a month and it doesn't look like it's getting any better, then again I'm usually the only one who changes him. I'm scared that he'll have to have it cut for it to be normal.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:08 AM on Jan. 20, 2010