teenage sister...custody situation. appreciate input?

I have a 16 yr old sister who because of some family issues went to live with my 20 yr old sister(im 24). The 20 yr old innitiated the move in and decided to take on full responsiblilty. I was out of the state at the time so didn't have much input or options to intervene.

Now that me and my DH are back in state I have found out that the 20 yo decided she "wanted her life back" and had my 16yo sis move into her dad's home, who just got released from pre-release treatment and is a complete irresponsible person. I am both worried about my sis's emotional and physical well being and have already extended the offer to come and live w/ me, DH and 2yo boy. I am hoping she accepts and there are no more problems..i will deal w/ her upset angry father thats no problem.

My question is, if she does not "want" to come to live willingly what are the legal routes I can take to get her with me?

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 11:40 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Relationships

• with all that new info you just posted, take her out to lunch. talk with her. Let her know that it is safe for her to live with you if that is what she wants to do and that you will protect her from your father. She needs to feel safe.

*hugs* thoughts and prayers out to you and your sister!
    Anonymous

• you can prove your actual parents unfit in court and win custody that way, but honestly that is just a sucky thing to do. Your sister, though young is still pretty capable of doing most things she needs for herself, it's not alike a 4 year old in the same situation. Also, at 16, if you go the legal route and she really doesn't want to live with you and you force it on her, she will have some major resentment towards you!
    Anonymous

• im more worried that she will refuse because her father doesn't want her too. He is an alcholholic and was abusive towards my mother and my older siblings when i was younger...so i know i can prove him unfit.

My mother while not the best parent is still fit, I haven't told her yet because 1) i just found out today 2) she has many medical issues that the stress would be extremely bad for her...and my sis doesn't want to live with her.

I know that my sis is depressed..enough that she wants to get anti-depressents and I'm worried about her.
    She deserves to have a normal teenage life w/ limited responsibillity she shouldn't be worrying about having to pay her fathers rent or food and about him possilbly coming home drunk and going to jail.

I am so angry right now that all i want to do is go over and pack her stuff and tell her she is coming with me.....but I know that wouldn't be productive and possibly unsafe for me.

tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:49 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• i agree with anonymous 52, if all you post about rent and food and depression, talk to her and see if she would prefer living with you know that she doesnt have to worry about those things at 16 she can legally tell the court where she would like to live at least here in CA she can....so talk to her and if thats what she wants to do pack her stuff up and file the court papers.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:21 AM on Jan. 18, 2010