Does anyone else have carpal tunnel syndromde?

So I'm 24 weeks pregnant and for the past 10 weeks I have been struggling with worsening pregnancy-induced carpal and ulnar tunnel syndrome. At first it was just a little annoying and now it is downright misery. I started out wearing wrist splints at night which helped for about a week. Now I'm barely able to sleep at night because of the throbbing pain. Even my poor husband has started sleeping in our guest room in an attempt to make me as comfortable as possible! My OB and two other doctors have absolutely nothing helpful to offer as far as comforting measures besides Tylenol, which does absolutely nothing...it's about as helpful as swallowing two tic tacs before I go to bed.
If anyone out there is struggling with this and has ANY advice to impart I would be forever grateful.

ShannonJ504

Asked by ShannonJ504 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 17, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't think I have that, but I sure have something wrong with my arm and hand. My right hand constantly goes to sleep. It's soooo annoying at night. I, too, can't sleep.

There are some things I use on my back that might be beneficial to you. They are called Grabber Warmers Adhesives. They are like little portable heating pads (charcoal activated- so safe for you). Anyway, they might work.

Good Luck.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:55 PM on Jan. 17, 2010

• alternate heat and ice about 15 minutes each one, 5-10 minute break between each.

you may need to wear the wrist splints all the time.

it totally sucks! It does let up after pregnancy but you will probably have at least mild CTS from now on, those ligaments don't go back the way they were.

and this is the least help advice... try to limit computer time and any other repetitive hand movement things you may do (like I crochet so now I can't do it as much)
    Anonymous

• m-avi - I bet you have it too. That darn chemical that helps open your pelvis for the baby is not picky about what ligaments it loosens :( mine started like what you're saying with my hand going to sleep.
    Anonymous

• I actually just posted my own question about this earlier today. LoL. I don't know if I have the same thing as you but I am 17 wks pregnant with twins and I have been having a lot of problems with my hands and arms going numb -- it's the worst at night but it will happen any time throughout the day too... and they will get so numb that it turns to painful throbbing... that is what has woken me up just about every morning for the last 2 weeks. LoL. I don't have any advice for you, but you're not alone!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• the nerves that run down your arm and into your hand come from the neck. regular chiropractic care and proper posture can help. if you are new to sleeping on your side b/c of the pregnancy, this could be enough to cause your problem. a chiropractor can also sell you a pillow that allows proper sleep positioning while on your side.
    good luck to you and your pregnancy!
    a Chiropractor can be a pregnant woman't best friend!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010