How old does your baby have to be to get rice ceral?

DD0403

Asked by DD0403 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Doctors usually recommend between 4 and 6 mo before starting them on soilds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thirty.

Rice cereal was invented to stop babies on poor early formulas (like Carnation, corn syrup and water) from dying of kidney failure and malnutrition. Since the advent of more appropriate breastmilk substitutes, and the return of the popularity of breastfeeding, rice cereal remains something that's routinely 'recommended' by people who don't know what they're talking about, and a major cash cow for manufacturers.

It has virtually no food value, it causes constipation in many babies (starting a cycle of medical interventions over an unnecessary food substitute), is fortified with iron which is extremely easy to overdose on and for most babies completely unnecessary, it's low-fibre and displace other richer and more nutritious food choices.

Babies don't need white foods, or flavourless foods, or 'filler' foods. They need breastmilk, or an adequate substitute, and whole real food: fruits, meat, and vegetables.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:00 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My daughter started on it around 4 months. I would say, whenever it seems that the formula alone isn't enough to fill your baby up.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Never is fine. Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• 6 months is best. You dotn want to start to early. We started at 6 is months and she just started with regular oatmeal. We have never tried the rice stuff. She eats whole wheat oatmeal. SHe loves it
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 7:18 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i really is up to u , my children were 2 days old when i started putting baby cereal in thei bottles and doctor was fine with it some moms may disagree put u are mom u know what is bestest for your child
    dally23

Answer by dally23 at 7:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• 4-6 months although I never waited that long with both my kids and also my doctor said you can start solids 4-6 months, but you also don't have to give them anything, but formula for the first year she said the first year is just to introduce new things, but they don't have to get it. The reason she said this when my oldest was a baby she would not eat baby food or the cereal so she told me that was fine that they technically didn't need anything other than formula for the first year
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 8:30 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• my daughter was 4 months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I see your son is 3 weeks old? Congrats! You have a way to go before cereal though. I never ever give rice cereal. It ALWAYS backs my kids up and everyone elses children that I know of. At 6 months I start giving baby oatmeal with fruits. Shes 8 months breastfeeding and getting one fruit with oatmeal per day.
    FDNYwife

Answer by FDNYwife at 9:19 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Ask your doctor. I was told to put it in her bottle when she was 2 weeks old, but that was a while back, and as a PP mentioned, many things have changed since then, and all babies are different. She never had any problems with it is all I can say. A good pediatrician that you trust is your best guide. He or she will know your baby's history and how he is likely to react to being fed solids this young.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 9:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2010