Should I even entertain the possibility?

When I was in my late teens I was involved with someone who always ran back to me when things didnt work out with his at the time girlfriend.He ended up in 2 serious relationships,marrying and divorcing both women after 5 year marriages to each.He also had a child from each wife.I havent seen him in 10 years,and then on Christmas Eve he recognizes me at a store and we exchange phone numbers.He has tried pursuing a date but I have continually put him off.I ended up telling him that I was always the one he had to fall back on and never the one he chose to marry.And now you are a 2 time divorcee.I cant seem to feel that he doesnt deserve my time now,when in the past he had me and didnt care.Am I delussional in thinking now after so many years have passed he could take me serious?I have even wondered how differently my life may have turned out if he had married me instead.We are now both in our mid 30's.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Relationships

• RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FAR AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    EvaSerenity

Answer by EvaSerenity at 1:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Ya, you're delusional to entertain the possibility imho, but it's human nature, we all want to believe people see the good in us and value it.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 2:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think it's natural to be hopeful, but I think it's probably not the best idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• all you are to him is his stand by girl. thats it. you deserve better than that
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 2:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with anon- it's absolutely normal to be hopeful. My god, this was your major romance that was messy, and messes always tug on your heartstrings. And besides, it feels like they werent' the one because YOU were. I would say, don't burn a bridge but don't expect anything. He's still him, and you're still someone to fall back on.
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would say from your past experience with him and his relationship troubles are a good indication of his character, total commitaphobe, he doesn't want to be "tied" down to one person for a long period of time. I say don't waste your time with him, and don't let the "what if's" of past life confuse your own very good intuition. I say douse that bridge with gasoline and burn it to the ground hon!!
    ormom1977

Answer by ormom1977 at 3:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Oh the "shoulda, coulda, woulda's". Eh don't even think on it. Don't waste your time on him.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• You are wise. Don't let "what if" pull you back into the same type of treatment as before.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2010