How to get twins On a schedule?

I have twins that are 11 days old, and I dont expect them to be 100% to a schedule yet But I was wondering if any of you other twin mom's have any suggestions on how to help get them on a schedule.
Any tips or advice is greatly appreciated!
Blake

MommyBlakeof2

Asked by MommyBlakeof2 at 4:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I wish I had better advice for you but I am of the personal belief that its pretty darn hard to but babies on a schedule and when they are newborns it can actually be bad for them...their tummys are tiny and they need to eat very often, its not safe to schedule the feedings as its pretty hard to predict when they may be hungry....maybe when they are older but not as newborns.
    I know you have your hands full with twins, but at this point, when they cry, they need to be comforted, when they are hungry, they need to be fed...schedules can come later!
    A good book that helped me when I was trying to get my kids to sleep better is The No Cry Sleep Solution, but I think you will have more sucsess with it when the babies are a bit older, right now, its an on demand type of thing, do what they need when they need it even if its just holding and loving on them
    Seek help when and where you can and let the house work go if you need to
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 7:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• try reading the book baby wise. it works for many moms. like pp, i have had baby led schedules. i thought for sure that by the time i had my twins, i would be a scheduler, but it didn't work for us.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Babywise is NOT a good thing to use. It is dangerous.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Hello, I can help! I have twin boys who are now 3. The first thing is to start with a bedtime routine. Bath, pj's, boob or bottle, (quiet time while you are doing this, in a darker room with some soft music) then bed. Keep it dark and quiet when they get up to nurse or bottle. In the morning, boob or bottle, then tummy time, and go with the flow the rest of the day. When they are hungry, feed them; don't wait until they are crying to nurse or give a bottle. Go by their cues - newborns do the whole fist in the mouth, whiny thing when they are hungry. Then just repeat this until they are on their OWN schedule. That's the thing - they will get on their own schedule but you have to follow their cues. They are most likely eating every 2-3 hrs.
    threeeunder3

Answer by threeeunder3 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• you can't put newborns on a schedule or at least I couldn't My twin girls are 5 now and I was never able to get a schedule till about 2 or 3 yrs. old. It seems hard right now, I know, but it will pass, just keep telling yourself that. Mine had ear infections till they were 3 so I know how hard and stressfull it can get. Like everyone else said just go by what they want when they want it.You can worry about schedules later. good Luck1
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 11:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The American Academy Of Pediatgrics recommendsd AGAINST Babywise due to the risk of Failure to Thrive with its methods.

Putting ONE newborn on a schedule is like herding cats...twins? Worse.

ROUTINES can start now though. Nurse, sleep, play...following baby's cues.

Many moms don't understand that in year one...baby drives the schedule bus.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• thanks gdiamante, i hadn't heard that!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• schedules are a no no, theyre only 11 days old!
    Start routines! But at this age they need to be very flexible routines because babies need to be fed on demand.
    wendy46121

Answer by wendy46121 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• All I can say is that having twins on a schedule is a whole lot easier! I have twins girls that are 1 yr old and
    they were on a schedule due to fact that they were born 2 months early and they were in the NICU for a month. I have them on a schedule and it works out a lot easier for me. Do what you feel is right because mommy knows what is best!
    mommyoftwins87

Answer by mommyoftwins87 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 19, 2010