What treatments are given for cat's upper respiratory infection?

My male cat is 2 years old and I believe he may have an upper respiratory infection. I hear him wheezing from time to time. What causes it and what can be used to treat it? I really can't afford to take him to a vet, but how serious is this?

Ewadun

Asked by Ewadun at 6:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pets

• The cat that is wheezing is a little concerning. It could be asthma, URI. Have both of the cats been tested for feline Aids or Leukema? As long as they are NOT vomiting, having loose stool, eating and drinking they are ok! When they start to not eat and drink is when you need to worry. Or if they have green discharge from their eyes and nose and you know they are very sick. Then get them to a Vet. Or if they show signs of Labored Breathing. They could have just caught a bug and their bodies need to get over them.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 3:01 PM on Jan. 20, 2010

• If this really is an upper respitory infection and it goes untreated it can get bad and the cat can die. You really need to get the cat to vet for antibiotics asap.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• What are the symptoms of an upper respiratory problem? He's wheezes mostly at night loud enough for me to be able to figure out exactly where he may be in the house.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If he is wheezing that sounds more like an asthma attack. They can sneeze a lot with an upper respitory. How do the eye's look any green eye goop? how about the nose, does the cat seem congested? Are you seeing any yellow or green discharge from the nose? He could also run a fever with it. Is your cat eating? sometimes with an upper respitory they will stop eating because they can't smell the food or can't breathe when they are trying to eat because they are congested.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• symptoms are watery eyes with yellow/greenish discharge, cough/weeze,sneezing,congested, yellow/greenish discharge from nose. You need to get him antibiotics to clear it up.Try your local humane society they may help you out with the cost.
    lilybug524

Answer by lilybug524 at 11:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I am a registered vet tech. URI are like colds in humans they will get over it. The vet will usually put them on 2 wks of antibotics. If your cat is outdoors it will take alot longer to get over. You can use a humidifier to help with wheezing. Make sure your cat is eating and drinking. If you dont have money to take to the vet the body will heal on its own it will take longer. Now if its not a URI then you need to see a vet to make sure its not Feline Aids, or leukema.

Danielle
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP here. I have two tabby cats, so this may complicate the problem. The youngest, Stanky, (2 yrs old) has no discharge from eyes (other than what I call sleep in the innermost corner and that's like a black dot), his nose drips clear fluid, and he wheezes. My daughter saysStanky sometimes sneezes. The older cat, Booboo, (6 yrs old) has the same sleep ball in eye corners, but nose doesn't drip nor does he wheeze. He is overweight though. Both have been neutered, mostly indoors (I supervise outside trips) and are eating just fine. I'm really on a tight budget, but if you think this merits a trip to the vet, I'll make a way. I love my cats. They're a part of my family.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 9:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• That sounds like my cat and the vet said it was asthma. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 AM on Jan. 20, 2010