Does Atheism Offer As Much Comfort in Death As Religion?

Is religion a necessity during the grief process or comfort with your own impending death? Why?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• So I guess to answer your question.. religion can be comforting to some, to others it could be a hindrance. There is good things and bad things about death is all religions... so the best and only way to deal with death is to face it head on. The person has died. You aren't going to see them in this life, and perhaps not after death either. But you must live on, and carry the memory of them alive within yourself.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My saying about deth is. "If there is something after death, I will tell you when I get there".

Answer by louise2 at 7:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Death, not deth

• I am an atheist, and I feel comfort when I think about the end of my life. I have idea when that will come, or how long I have. But my personal beliefs revolve around the idea that we all are "one" with the earth. We are made up of the same stuff the trees, grass, sun, moon and stars are made up of. I believe we simply return to a different energy form, and become part of all of those things again.
    I don't feel any kind of loss because I don't have a god I am going to meet upon death. I believe we are all part of the divine.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I myself have never leaned upon God or thoughts of an afterlife when someone I loved passed away- not even when I WAS a Christian. I am just one of those people who pull from my inner strength to carry on and accept it.

As for my own death. Sure... the thought of not being here any longer is both sad and scary, but it's something I cannot control, so why worry about it? I have this one life and I intend to use to to leave my mark. I intend to use it to better the world and to make sure those I leave behind know how much I love them.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My beloved father passed away 2 years ago.  I made it through his illness and his death without religion and without god.  I personally don't see what difference god makes except for the delusion that we will all meet up again in the afterlife.  You still have to deal with the hurt and the pain and the loss.  We all deal with this in our own way and only time can heal these things.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on the individual but Yes it can.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I don't think so. I don't see myself suddenly believing in a book of stories or a mythological being just because I'm dieing.

fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Whoops, I only answered the first question, as for this one

It certainly isn't a necessity and I find no comfort in the idea of an afterlife. All living things must eventually die.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:42 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i believe in an afterlife...i don't know if its heaven or hell, but i do believe that when you die there is another world...some sort of parallel universe.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010