Do you think Atheists are just in denial?

Over and over I see it said in real life, on forums and in the media that Atheists are simply in denial of God. That they are just going through a 'phase' and deep down they still believe. Do you feel this way?

Why is it so hard for believers to understand that everything they hold as truth we simply cannot accept? Does that somehow place a twinge of doubt into your minds? That someone can actually read your religious books, hear about your God(s) and dismiss it as meadow muffins? Is that why you feel you need to attack in a sickly sweet condescending manner?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 7:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes, everyone has a right to defend themselves, but there are a lot of situations where there is no self defense and just out right mud slinging and religious people are guilty of doing this too.
    I do not understand why some people are surprised that that there are people who do not believe in a God, they have existed from the beginning of time and they will exist till the end of time, it does not surprise me at all. The immaturity from all sides is what surprises me, grown people acting like play ground school children, now that is unbelievable to me.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I've heard this said many times before as well, and it is quite derogatory and condscending. I truly dislike it when someone pushes my personal beliefs aside in such a manner. All they hear is "athesit"; they do not know anything else about what it is I DO believe in. Atheism to me, simply means no belief in a GOD. But it does not imply zero beliefs in other spiritual paths. I myself, am a very spiritual person. Just not in the way of any deity.
    I think many people do not understand atheism, and that frightens them. And rather than find out more info. about it, they write it off to make themselves feel better. It's easier that way. Plus it doesn't require them having to find out about another path that may actually appeal to them.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No its not necessarily denial. Some people want absolute concrete proof, I can understand this feeling. Unfortunately belief in God is more about faith. Believing when there isn't absolute concrete proof. I have a strong faith because of my own experiences but this is different for everyone.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• That they are just going through a 'phase' and deep down they still believe. Do you feel this way?  Nope.

Why is it so hard for believers to understand that everything they hold as truth we simply cannot accept?  I think it shakes the foundation of their faith when others happily go through life without the need of something that they so desperately cling to.

Meadow muffins......LOL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:10 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It's not a phase for me, and I don't feel any differently deep down.
    I think it's hard for them because they have decided that the bible is the truth, and because of that they don't see why anyone could not believe that this one book that some devote their whole life to was not true.
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• it doesn't shake my faith that people deny the existence of God. in fact, it strengthens my belief. by the same token you say our faith is shakeable because we can't fathom your disbelief, your angery disbelief only proves to believers that you're not totally convinced. same shoe, different foot.
    i realize there are people who apparently are continuously bothered by your disbelief. do i wish the world believed as i? sure, anybody's life would be 'easier' if we all thought the same. but we don't. my best advice to anyone wishing to get out of the line of fire, so to speak, would be to not put themselves in the frontline of the 'situation'. i'm not bothered by atheists questioning my belief in God, because i don't provoke it from them. this meadow muffin would rather we all just get along. and i resent the idea that i resemble a round piece of bread that's soft in the middle!! lol..we can't all be biscotti, though! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:41 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It might be a phase for the disobedient teenager looking to piss off mommy and daddy and justify their bad actions but eventually they will "convert" back(and often use their new found beleif in God to justify their cruelty to others). However for those of us who see no logic behind the idea or concept of a god existing, or find it impossible, No it is not a phase. Sadly, some cannot accept that and my mere disbelief in their god puts me on the "frontlines" for the "righteous anger" of those unwilling to accept that not all people believe the same as they do or will agree with them.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:49 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• WOW! DID I MISS THE SCIENTIFIC BREAKTHROUGH THAT PROVED THE BIBLE AND GOD TO BE TRUE?

it's a theory. nothing more.
    law: Gravity. It exists, we can see it & feel it
    theory: Theory of Reletivity
    theories have yet to be proven.

I just think that religious people can't handle atheists or other religions reminding them of the fact that they might be wrong. The religious people then feel the need to get more people on their side of the argument to make themselves feel better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• They have been brained washed into fanaticism, believe blindly, so it is normal that anybody who feels differently than they do is perceived as a threat to their clingy need to believe. To me, you believe whatever makes you sleep better at night, it is your business just do no, I repeat do not try to convert me because I will burst your bubble in a nanosecond.

As far as me deep down believing, no, I left fantasy land long time ago.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:01 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• maybe they just do not know what to believe and they feel better not sticking with one particular religion or any at all because they feel nobody really knows the truth.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010