hair loss and coloring

Has anyone lost a good chunk of hair after having your baby? about 3 months after I had my girl, I noticed that I have lost 2 chunks of hair on the side of my head! I am just wondering if that happened to anyone else. I am hoping it will grow back! also, if you did lose hair, did you color it? I am wanting to spice up my brown hair with a bit of a dark red, so I am just going to deposit color, but I am kind of afraid with my hair loss!

shandyeddie

Asked by shandyeddie at 7:47 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Yes, my doctor assured me that some hair loss is normal. As a beautician, I would not recommend you color your hair until this condition stabilizes. Your only options at this point are using color fillers to help stabilize your hair and perhaps a temporay color for highlights.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 7:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Don't color it. That is NOT a bright move. See your doctor. No one on this website can tell you what your hair loss is caused from, though its most likely from the depletion of hormones. It is a bad move to dye your hair until you see your doctor. There might be a underlying cause for the hair loss, who knows?! Just be careful. One mistake can ruin your hair easily.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 7:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• As a licensed cosmetologist and trichologist, I am indeed qualified to make an educated diagnosis. After having a baby, you do indeed lose hormones. This is normal. During pregnancy, our hormones go into overdrive: hence our hair, nails and body grow at an accelerated pace. Therefore, I stand on the suggestions I made to you earlier about hair filler and temporary rinses. This is a safe move even though I haven't visually inspected your hair or head. You might also want to consider electrolysis to stimulate the hair follicles.

Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 8:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• above poster that claims she is "educated" is not completely correct. You don't lose hormones.. ( who can do that?) there is a shift in hormones. Hair goes through a growth/shedding phase.. when you are pregnant it's not that you grow more hair, it's that the shedding process slows to a halt. About 3 mo. after baby when your hormones change again, the shedding process picks up where it left off. So it looks like you are losing alot of hair ( when in fact you are just shedding the extra).
    Anonymous

• Losing chunks of hair is not "extra."
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 11:20 AM on Jan. 21, 2010