For those who follow the Protestant belief on Heaven....

What happens when you die?

I'm trying to understand who the angles in the Bible are if they are not part of Heaven. This is a serious question, I'm trying to understand others beliefs.

RyansMom001

Asked by RyansMom001 at 7:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• you mean angels? of course they are part of heaven! did you read someone saying angels weren't part of heaven?! if so, i missed that post.
    people believe different things about death/after. some believe the 'saved' go straight to God. some believe the soul is in a period of waiting, until judgement. both have scriptural support.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:28 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Many people believe it is wrong to pray to anyone who is dead because they can't hear you. The angels in the Bible seemed to be able to hear people they often came to communicate to people what God wanted for them. I'm trying to understand what others believe about these angels if they couldn't communicate with us if they aren't in Heaven, as some have said. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• well, first of all, no one prays to angels. some pray to saints (dead xtians?). saints(humans, with no power) and angels(ethereal beings, God's handy-beings) aren't the same. angels are, by definition, 'messengers of God', right? if they can't communicate with us, they wouldn't be good messengers. i know the post you're speaking of, and although i don't believe praying to saints is going to garner anything, as its useless since they are unable to deliver for us, i don't see where its 'wrong'. praying and worshipping are different, also. praying and asking may be used in the same context, but i think the miscommunication lies in the act itself. protestants can appreciate saints and all their work for the kingdom, we can strive to carry on the work, and be thankful that a foundation of faith was laid before us...but no, we do not pray to saints.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• So do you think the angels in Heaven are still worshipping God? In the story of Jacobs ladder do you think the angles had a purpose for ascending and descending the ladder? 

This is not a trick question I'm not trying to stir up any drama I really want to understand the views of others.  I've written about what I believe I want to understand what others believe.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I am Catholic. The other posts that inspired your question puzzle me as to what Protestants believe. I thought Protestants believed in eternal life too. Yet they keep insisting that saints are dead. That doesn't make sense to me.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 10:24 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Yes I became very confused too. I don't understand what purpose others believe that angels have in Heaven.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The Heavenly Angels purpose is to be God's messenger. There are many instances of this in the bible. The Angel Gabriel and the Angel Michael are the main ones mentioned and you will find them in the book of Daniel and the book of Luke. In Daniel while he (Daniel) was interceding as he was doing so Michael was in a battle with the prince of Persia ( demonic angel) and it was while Daniel was praying to God his words helped Michael break through the 2nd heaven to get to earth.
    Gabriel is the one that came to Mary to tell her in a message from God that she was going to bear a Son and name Him Jesus.
    These are the two I remember of the top of my head atm. Neither of these angels were prayed to but God sent them to either help us or give us a message.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thy are part of Heaven yes
    What happens when we die? The bible speaks that the righteous go to heaven and the un righteous do not.
    This means the believers who followed God and His will enter into the Kingdom and those that do not believe do not.
    I hope these answered your questions! :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Neither of these angels were prayed to but God sent them to either help us or give us a message.

Yes, but when they delivered messages those who received the message spoke to the angels - they didn't just ignore them right?  In Gen. 19:1 Lot bowed down to the ground in veneration before two angels in Sodom.   In Jos. 5:14 Joshua fell to the ground prostrate in veneration before an angel. In Dan. 8:17 Daniel fell down prostrate in veneration before the angel Gabriel.  So the angels can be honored and venerated without diminishing God and His power.  The reason they are venerated is because they're from God were perfected by God.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• first of all, no one prays to angels

So Protestants don't believe in guardian angels and wouldn't ask a guardian angel to watch over them or their child?

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 3:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2010