Acid Reflux?

I think that there is a good chance one of my boys has reflux. What do they do to test for it? Will they have to do an upper GI?

applemom

Asked by applemom at 7:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Health

• I was diagnosed w/ acid reflux at 9yrs of age and probably had it several years before. They will as a series of questions, and push on his stomach to see which areas are the most tender. If he's constantly having problems w/his stomach then they may have to do an endoscopy, which is painless and quick. The endoscopy is done to make sure he doesn't have any ulcers, bleeding, etc. With the endoscopy pics they can decide on what antacid to prescribe for him. I've found that nexium works the best, and trust me...I've tried a lot. Hope this helps :)
    mire621

Answer by mire621 at 8:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• he doesn't really complain of his stomach bothering him, but he often tells me that he "threw up a little in his mouth." I will be calling the doctor about it this week, i just wanted to know what to expect. He's 7.
    applemom

Answer by applemom at 8:38 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If he's throwing up a little, that does sound acid reflux. The symptoms vary.
    mire621

Answer by mire621 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• My son's doctor didn't do any testing for the initial diagnosis. There are some tests, but some doctors consider them invasive and feel that a med trial is a good means of testing for reflux. With my son, we trialed meds, tinkered with dosages and got him feeling better. If we skipped a dose, he would get worse, so it was VERY good indication that reflux was the issue. We did do an upper GI to make sure his anatomy was normal, but that is NOT a test for reflux. Reflux testing would involve an endoscopy and pH probe. We haven't put him through any of that because it isn't necessary. He's 2 1/2 now and back on meds (Prevacid now), based on symptoms. I knew from infancy WHAT the issue was and his GI was more than willing to help him out. It makes a HUGE difference. He's happy now, sleeps well again and actually EATS.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 8:42 AM on Jan. 30, 2010