Moms of 3 children or you work outside of the home?

I have 3 girls. I stay at home with them, because daycare is sooo expensive. I know that I am very fortunate to be home with them. Don't get me wrong...but with the economy being the way it is I often feel guilty, like I should be working. But the daycare cost just makes it pointless. What are all of your situations and how do you work it out with 3 or more kids?

Asked by Anonymous at 6:29 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Money & Work

• Well, at the moment we have two boys and another on the way. My husband also has two girls so a lot of times when we shop and such we are shopping for 6 people. I too feel guilty for him working and myself not especially with the price of everything. I am currently going to school, almost done with my Assoc. Degree but I am not due until Oct. and I do not want to get into work right away. If you feel guilty and there is time for you to even pick up a part time job while your SO is home then go that route. If not, then maybe ask him if there is something you can do to help out more financially because you feel this way. It is hard with the way daycare costs are nowadays but when I start my career (in Law) then my hubby is going to take lots of cuts in work so we do not have to send the kids anywhere! I hope this helps some!

Answer by ohara_b05 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Great question because I have three kids with the youngest being 8 months. I am blessed to have a job at home being a Customer Service Representative for a major cell phone company. The paychecks are great and helps supplement my husband's income.

Answer by HotMamma at 6:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I too am lucky because my husband's family owns a business and I can just take the kids to work with me.

Answer by lisafc at 7:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have 5 children, and yes, there is no way that I would be able to afford to work outside of the home. I suppliment my husband's income by babysitting a few extra children in my home. It isn't much, but it does help with groceries.

Answer by MrsRalf at 8:54 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I have 3 children and one on the way. My husband is now seeking a second job to help with immediate expenses- like gas. I help him with that with my own business in JAFRA Cosmetics and Skin Care . I have been sharing JAFRA with women for 3 years now and I'm enjoying every minute spent. I get to book my parties with friends and guests on the weekends, or when I want to ' work ' for two or three hours and earn a 50% commission, and my family , even my hubby, helps with the kids. It's a great source of income and an excuse to have grown adult conversation without the juice dribble. ( BTW, our parties average $400 in sales- you can figure that one out, I know. :) SO you could consider it ' out of home' since I go to other homes to share JAFRA with, but then again- I 've been doing alot of over-the-phone parties with friends and orders. So , you could have it either way I suppose.

Antonia McCay
    sharing JAFRA since 2005

Answer by JafraMom at 1:40 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I have 4 children three of which live with us full time. My youngest is getting ready to start kindergarten so I will finally be done with daycare. My rule of thumb was that one weeks pay needed to cover daycare or I would not take the job. If it doesn't financially make sense to work I wouldn't. My husband was in the military and I have lived places where it just wasn't worth it due to the low wages in the area.

Answer by AKEllen at 3:01 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• wel i dont have 3 kids i have one but and im blessed to be working from home with a wounderful company

Answer by tigger81007 at 8:22 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• daycare costs more than i can make....and my kids need me at home.....i would rather struggle at home than at work...although when my youngest is in school, i hope to do something....

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 9:31 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am a mom of 4 children and I also am a consultant for Heritage Makers (

Being a consultant with HM allows me the freedom to make my own schedule and determine not only where I work, but how I work. I make good money and I love what I do.

Answer by beachin27614 at 1:26 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I do work outside of the home, I agree its very expensive!! I do have a home business that I work when I want to for some extra cash. I sell candles for Diamond Creek Candles, I love them because I choose HOW I want to sell the product (online retail, home parties, fundraisers, or wholesale...I do all of the above LOL). I really found it by accident, I saw an ad that said I could get a FREE website for 30 days. They still offer this FREE website, along with NO monthly minimum quotas. Once your trial run is up you can choose your montly plan that meets your needs, they have one starting at $5 a month (this takes care of website maintenance...and its a tax deduction!). Right now (until July 2) anyone who signs up under me I will purchase their much needed sample kit for them. and go to Consultant Program. If you decide to sign up, PM me right away so I can get your scent kit to you! You really have nothing to lose by trying it out.

Answer by SensualScents at 3:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008