I witnessed a criminal damaging act. I just got a subpeona. Do I have to go?

I have a medical procedure scheduled two states away on the exact morning (remarkably within 15 minutes) of the court date. Do I HAVE to go to court? I've never been subpeonaed before so I dont know what to do. I am FREAKING OUT!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I work in medical records at my job. It's kinda like jury duty. There should be a number on the subpeona you recieved. Call them and explain your situation. Who knows you might be able to record your statement at an earlier date and they can use that in court. And then again you might have to reschedule you surgery. But if you talk with someone they should be able to direct you in what to do
    MommyInfinity

Answer by MommyInfinity at 7:58 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• if you got a subpeona yes, but you can call the states attorney's office and explain your delimma. Expect them to want you to provide proof of this procedure. If they really want the conviction on this person they will reschedule the court dat. Don't freak out. Be proud you stood up and did what was right! You gave a statement to police about what you saw, and knew was wrong!
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 6:49 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• Thats what is pissing me off about all this. It was for criminal damaging but the amount is only like $300 at most. My procedure cost thousands of dollars and has been planned for some time. There is no freaking way I can make court. There is just no way. I just dont know how to get out of it. I'm willing to go if they'll move the date to a different day.
    Anonymous

• You need to contact the attorneys office or the office that issued the actual subpoena and tell them about your appointment. Tell them you are willing to give written testimony, or perhaps a telephonic appearance later in the day if you are up to it. If that is not good enough then tell them they need to move the date. But you must show up or make arrangements, if you don't you could be fined or jailed even (most likely fined).
    templeghost

Answer by templeghost at 7:18 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• You don't HAVE to do anything...but you will HAVE to face consequences for every action, good or bad...
    hjfern

Answer by hjfern at 8:23 AM on Jul. 11, 2008