How old was your child?

I'm just curious to how old your child was when you faced them forward in the car? I know it says 20 lbs and 1 years old but I know that some children are bigger and some people turn them around a little earlier and some children are smaller so they don't until after. I know some babies reach 20 lbs before but peope wait til their first birthday. What did you do? I'm just curious..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I turned my daughter around at 11 months and she was 22 lbs. she hated the rear facing car seat. any time i put her in the car she would scream. as soon as i got a forward facing car seat she didnt mind getting in the car anymore cause she could see everything. it was scary though to do the switch. it just means they are getting older and bigger and it os so sad. i want her to stay little forever. haha
    KrystleZoe

Answer by KrystleZoe at 4:59 PM on Jan. 19, 2010

• My first son stayed rear facing until he was about 15 months or so. Really, they say 20 pounds AND 1 year old for a reason, you shouldn't turn them around until they have reached BOTH! However, there is no real reason to turn them around until they have outgrown the seat. Do a search about extended rear facing, and it will show you a lot of reasons not to turn your little one around yet.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:26 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son was 15 months. I wouldn't have turned him around then, but we were driving a borrowed car and the carseat we had wouldn't fit rear-facing in it. If it had, we would have left him rear-facing until he got to the weight limit.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 9:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Around 13 months
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• A year, if they are big enuff and very ready, go ahead.As long as you stay in the guide lines of the law.'
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My son is 14 months old and 21 lbs. We still have him rear facing and will keep him that way until he's 2 or 25 lbs, because it's safer.

Answer by missanc at 9:59 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I did around 18 months. It was too hard to switch the car seat between cars with it rear facing. She's still small enough to rear fact at 2 1/2, but again, it's just easier/safer when switching cars frequently to do it forward facing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I don't remember exactly how old my first was but he was definitely over 20 pounds and older than a year. Our youngest just turned a year old last week and is nearly 25 pounds but is still rear facing. The carseat he has isn't supposed to be forward facing until he is 34 inches long so I'm waiting for him to grow 2 more inches before I turn him around. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 10:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We turned our son around at 11 months. He had well outgrown his infant carseat and it was a lot safer to turn him around in a toddler carseat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Well I have three kids. My first two were big BUT I still did not turn them till 1 yr old. Their necks can not handle a collision no matter how big! They are 5 and 6 now. My baby is 21mos and still is rear facing she is about 21 pounds so much smaller than my older two. I will probably turn her soon because of her legs but I aso don't want to because she is so small. The pediatrican says for us to rear face her till at least 2 so thats March.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 AM on Jan. 18, 2010