Christians-does your religion tell you it is ok to correct another Christian denomination?

I am just wondering because I am Catholic and we are taught to respect everyone and their beliefs.

I can't imagine teaching anything but love from the alter

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• OH your wrong, no I am right, oh they just don't know what to do...everyone is wrong and I am going to use the bible to prove you are wrong...
    When you see a person use the bible to justify why it is ok to call a group of people wrong does it make you question how much love is in the bible?

Should we be using the bible to justify why we call eachother wrong.
    Anonymous

• I'm Catholic too, and I see this all the time even among Catholics. When I was involved in RCIA the classes were always talking about why our way is better than the Protestants. Also, my children and I have been treated pretty shabbily by other Catholics for not being "Catholic enough" or as "Catholic as they are".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I know that in the bible it says to always be ready to defend your faith. So if I see a post that has misleading info about the Catholic faith, I will try to respond. I don't set out to discredit others faith, but if they set out to discredit mine, I will try to show them the Truth.
    LibbyLife

Answer by LibbyLife at 10:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The Bible says this: And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?...Luke 6: 42. What people of every religion, Christian religion included, needs to remember is that NONE of us have it all perfect. Flaws can be found in EVERY sect of Christianity, within doctrine. There are so many interpretations, which led to so many different religions, that it's crazy for anyone to say "My religion is RIGHT!" The Bible says we've got to work out our own faith - our own relationship with Christ, and trust Him to make sure we know what we need to know in this life. All believers are going to be united in the next life.

GoodMomma24-7

Answer by GoodMomma24-7 at 10:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

find another Catholic Church because I have never seen this. Our church as gays and single moms and I have never heard anyone show them hate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My church does not say this. We believe all churches have at least some truth and choose to embrace the similarities rather than dwell on the differences.

Just wondering though. If the Catholic church teaches to respect everyone's beliefs, why would do they advertise sites against certain groups on their website (catholic.org)? Type in something like Mormon and all of the ads are for anti-Mormon sites. Also why do other sites like Catholic.com have sections about why other religions are wrong? For example Jehovah Witnesses - http://www.catholic.com/library/Strategies_of_Jehovah_Witness.asp. To me that is correcting other denominations
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Have you attended RCIA classes? When I went there was a lot of talk about other denominations being wrong. There was actually a woman in the class who used to be JW who very politely informed the teacher that actually JW's did not believe what they were saying, and she basically got told she had no idea what she was talking about. I honestly was embarrassed to be there. The teacher only knew what they'd been told and acted like the 20yrs this woman had spent in that religion was crazy. I wasn't surprised when after that she decided Catholicism wasn't for her

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Have you attended RCIA classes?

Yes for conversion, we talked about our religion. I can't think of one instance where other religions were brought up.

You seem very uncomfortable and unhappy with the Catholic religion. I have to wonder if you actually Catholic. But right now you are preaching a negative against a religion and not a positive. I wonder why?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

Thank you! It can get hot and heated on CM, when I see others attacking my faith I need to remember the last line you said. Thanks for words
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think that's why even though I was raised christian I am drawn to Budhism...they teach that we are all one...Budhists truly respect every religion, every persons individual beliefs, wherass any other church I went to, Pentacostal, Assembly of God, Catholic, Methodist, Mormon, the list is long... but each of those churches preached that their religion was the only one leading to heaven and all others would end up in hell. I saw such judgement and hypocrisy within each and every one of those churches, everyone found fault with everyone else...to me it was just an evil spirit that led them around by the nose, it makes me sad to see the same spirit of criticism here on CM...I usually just avoid religious posts because I feel like the devil is using them for his playground.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Jan. 18, 2010