Anyone want to educate me on cloth diapers...

I have a 19 month old and am expecting my second in May. I'm going to be staying home with my second child and feel like I need to explore the option of cloth diapers to be more responsible. I have no idea where to start, or what I would need so your advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much!!

Julians_Momma

Asked by Julians_Momma at 10:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• Use an internet search engine, like Google, Yahoo, etc and reference cloth diapers. You can also check your local yellow pages online. Many, many years ago when I used cloth diapers, the company provided a diaper pail with deodrizer and a pickup cleaning service was provided. They also delivered clean, sanitized diapers to me. These days, I guess you could buy the diapers and wash yourself.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 10:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• fuzzybunz and bumgenius are good. There are several, but some work better for boys or girls (in my opinion) start with just one of each brand to see which you like before you oder the whole kit. The inserts help alot too. It seems pricey in the begining so start small and add to your collection, but overall, not buying diapers for years, it is worth the money. Follow the washing directions to help not stain and keep the waterproofing. Don't try "homemade" on ebay or anything. They all seemed to leak.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Check out diaperswappers.com. They have a ton of resources and also sell used or WAHM made diapers there. The cheapest route is prefolds and covers. I personally liked homemade fitteds with covers. The brand of diaper and cover differs depending on your child. Mine were tall and skinny and I loved the Motherease Rikki Wraps for covers for out and about and I used homemade wool pants and covers at home and I made my own fitted diapers. I now sell wool pants on etsy.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The diapers I prefer the most are Green & Comfy, and I've only seen them on eBay. They make AIO's or pockets. I use the AIO's (all in one - no covers or anything needed, and these snap shut). They are very reasonably priced. I've always paid less then $10 per diaper from them. Any auctions won within I believe it's a 7 day period, they combine shipping, only adding $1 per diaper after the first one. Check out some of the CD groups. Cuties With Cloth Booties is one, I know there are more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010