Would you have given it back?

I was shopping yesterday and a lady went to the service desk to return a wallet containing $600 and 10 credits cards. I thought "wow" there is still honest people out there. I also overheard some people saying" I would have kept it" What about you?

Yellowrose9

Asked by Yellowrose9 at 11:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You know its honestly hard to say. I want to sit here and say heck yeah I'd keep it! We are hurting real bad right now and we could really use $600. But, I'm too honest and when it comes down to it I'd probably end up turning it in b/c I'd feel too guilty keeping it and I'd lose a lot of sleep at night knowing I kept it. But, yeah like the very first anon said, I'd probably take it to the person's house instead of just handing it over to an employee. Now, if I found $600 on the ground, not in a wallet, with no credit cards and no ID, I wouldn't feel bad for keeping.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 5:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would have looked at the ID and gone to the person's house and given it to them in person. I don't care if they are employees, I still wouldn't trust them not to just keep it either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would have given it back, i know that if it was me I'd hope someone would do the same for me
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 11:06 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• No way. I'd be so upset if I lost mine and I'd want someone to return it with everything inside.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would have given it back without a second thought. If it was mine, I would want it returned.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would have given it directly back to the owner as well, who's to say the person at the service desk would be honest and return it? If it were me that's what I would hope the person who found it would do. I don't care if I am broke as the day I was born, that's just so fundamentally wrong to keep someone else's money.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I've returned wallets before and often the people try to give the cash as a reward. I didn't accept it, but once I did use a few dollars in the wallet to mail it to the owner per his instructions. Working as a bar tender in college, I recovered tons of lost wallets.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:20 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would have returned it to the person myself. Money would be nice, but Karma is a b!tch and since I know how it feels to lose money, I'd give the same courtesy. Of course, if the roles were reversed, I would never see it again and have to go pay to get a new ID, stand in line at the SS office to get new SS cards, and cancel my credit cards, not to mention being out $600.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would give it back! I would have turned it in at the customer service desk, but recently I lost my purse at Walmart and it was turned into the customer service. When I went there to retrieve it the employee I talked to went and knocked on the door and it opened and I saw the manager going through my wallet. She looked up and saw me and pushed it under the desk. The first employee shut the door and the manager came out with my purse about three minutes later. I have no doubt that if I had not seen her in my wallet she would have taken part or all of the cash. I will always contact the person directly, or take it immediately to the police station.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Heck yeah I would have kept the cash ONLY, the credit cards will be trouble if you keep and use those.
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2010