Why is it okay during labor, but not pregnancy?

I see women take such meticulate care of themselves during pregnancy -- fretting about every drop of caffine, tylenol, sushi, and heaven forbid - wine. However, fast forward to labor and suddenly its okay to pump yourself (and the baby) full of Nubain, Demerol, Pitocin, Epidurals, etc. I don't get it. I mean, blasphemy if a woman have a glass of red wine but women get induced out of convienence (I'm so sick of being pregnant! I want my mom/sister/aunt/cousin to be in town!) and the contractions hurt so bad you get the epidural. What about the baby? Where's reliefe for the baby? But hey, as long as you're comfortable.....baby's heart rate drops off the charts from the intensity of the artificual contractions then BOOM c-section it is. I just don't get it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Pregnancy

• :D I totally agree with you! It's crazy!

of course, I'm the mom that ate sushi, took ibuprofen until 3rd trimester, drank the glass of wine on occassion, even smoked. Yep I got an epidural. At least I wasn't a hypocrite! :D
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:07 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think you are on to something, but your rude demeaning manner leaves a lot to be desired. Ever hear the expression, "Catch more fly's with honey than vinegar."? Maybe if you were not so stinking rude people would listen to your ideas.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:09 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with you and SleepingBeautee...
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:11 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• oh mommy are you due now? I had a labor end in section and two more sections. I agreed with my doctors suggestions cuz I researched hospitals and doctors with phone calls and interviews in the days before there were websites on those.

Sometimes something happens in labor that indicates a section is necessary. other times a secton is mandated to prevent problems from happening.

Neither you nor I are in each other's delivery rooms or in any other moms.

You do have the right to have someone with you who will advocate for you intensely. If you really really want a natural without any or with very little medication then look into a midwife or a midwife associated with an ob group for easy emergency backup.

I made good choices for my childbirths. You have the right to make your own choices too no matter what anyone else says. But set plans in motion BEFORE labor/delivery so that your choices are known and practiced.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 11:13 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• That's why I had all 3 of ours natural... And during all of my pregnancies I didn't eat or drink anything with chemicals, no smoking, and I didn't even sit in the same room with a smoker.. So I agree, it's either do it or don't. If you're going to preach to people about being healthy for your baby, carry it all the way through the pregnancy and during labor!! And then also after if you breastfeed...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:15 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I see that odd pattern as well. I think it is that these things are pushed by health professionals therefore it is "okay" and even "good." Because Doc said so.
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 11:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• American women are idiots and the biggest group of hypocrites I've ever seen. That's really the only reason I have for you. I agree with the first poster...I did get an epidural (my doctor "made" me), but I also had sushi and wine throughout my pregnancy. Either all or nothing it, ladies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I eat sushi. I'm having a drug free home-birth. I'm on the other side of the hypocrisy!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• LfL -- I don't think the op was talking about whether or not c-sections were necesary versus not. There are definitely times where they are needed, and then other times not so much. I think she is talking about how hypocritical some women can be at times. I've heard women brag about not ever touching a drop of coffee during their pregnancy, but they get every drug under the sun come labor. What's the difference? There have also been quite a few posts lately regarding alcohol during pregnancy as well. These women also go as far as call horrible names to these moms who have red wine with dinner occasionally, yet same scenario in the labor room. (Though I believer all moms should choose whats right for them) she does bring up a good point whether or not she was rude in doing so does not make the point less valid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP here - SleepingBeautee: there really is no "nice" way to call out someone or a group of people. Women being hypocritical is also not something thats very nice either. Since no one has been able to give me a credible response.....then the post stands as it is. If someone can give me a logical reason why mothers act the way they do in this country regarding their labor, birth, and pregnancy (and why the two are polar opposites from each other) then I will be happy to apologize. For now I will sit back and wait for that to happen but its looking doubtful.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Jan. 18, 2010