Are you all kidding me?? Are there any REAL parents out there??

I am a single mother of a 16 year old boy. Father=absent. I have been laid off and am just getting by. No assistance because I do not qualify in CT because my unemployment exceeds the guidelines, however it does not cover all expenses. I am not the cute little young married mother with her adorable little tots. I am one of thousands of moms in this same situation. Where are you?? I want to hear from you. Help, advice, opinions, WHATEVER!! I dont have happy little crap tales to go on and on about. I have life, real life drama and problems that could always use guidance from some one who has already gone through it, or to give and take support from somebody going through it now. God bless those of you who have it made in the shade. However the real world does not always work out like that for some. Comments, questions, and/or prayers is what I am seeking. Please.

balone4now

Asked by balone4now at 11:23 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no real advice other than to say you arent alone.
    We just got our support yanked cuz my husbands unemployment was "too high"(ya $225 a week is way high for a family of 5). It reeks, it blows, it sucks but the one thing I know as we go about looking for work that isnt coming...we will land on our feet.

Thats ALL I know right now. We look and we've put out buttloads of applications but no one is calling back. Its not as easy as some think it is to find a job anymore. If they live in a fruitful area then Id like the name of that city cuz we'd be more than happy to move there and take work.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Hang in there. It all works out how it is supposed to. Have you checked out "That's My Son" by Rick Johnson? It has a Christian angle, but it's specifically written for single mothers of boys. I loooooove it.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 11:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Your son is old enough to get a job and help out..Even if it is just busing tables or cutting lawns or something..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I know it's not ideal, but your son is old enough to work, what about asking him to get a part time job to help out.

cute kids doesn't matter, but I do believe that having someone in the house of working age does matter.

BUDGET! We have cut out everything that is not neccessary. I only have internet because it's bundled with my phone, and honestly the internet keeps me sane! I have social anxiety disorder so real world friends are extremely hard for me to make. I would have no interaction with others if it weren't for the internet. sorry got sidetracked ;)
    for groceries, cut back on the meat! check out http://www.5dollardinners.com/ for some great recipes for saving $

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have not been in your situation, so I don't have any 'advice', but I do want to say that I hope things get better and everything works out!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:32 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Whats so wrong with being young married cute moms with adorable kids!! Dont bash us because we didn't have a kid with a loser who wouldn't stick around.
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 11:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I am a real mom. I left my ex-husband 22 years ago when my son was 1 1/2 years old. I have never re-married so I have a lot of experience being a single mom. My son took us both to hell and back during his teenage years. It was a miracle that we both came out of it alive.
    My son is now 23 and he and is SO are expecting their own little ball of terror.
    I am also experiencing unemployment - a different topic than parenting but also stressful.
    You can PM me any time you want. I can help with advice or just listen. I never judge because so much of the drama I have been through has not been due to my own actions but affected me because they were the actions of my child.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:40 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Ah sarah -- being a bitch is only earning you hard life lessons later on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Okay. I said be real. So for those of you saying for my son to get a job. Not so real. He has been trying to get a job since before he was 16. There is a recession ya know. Everyone is laying off. And school kids can only work 5 hours a day here in CT, and the list of jobs they are legally able to do is quite short. He is only a junior in HS and does do sports. I would never ask him to quit that. He asks me for no money and does odd jobs for the things that he wants. Please do not think I am ignorant. I have a college education and am licensed as a nurse. And I can't find a job. He has apps in everywhere. He would have to rely on me for rides to.from work if not on our bus route. Thats not helping me is it?? Thank you for the budget idea. I have nothing to budget, I pay expenses thats it. I do prioritize. Im not a fool. I wear clothes twice sometimes 3 times as does he so laundry does not cost so much (except for undies)
    balone4now

Answer by balone4now at 11:44 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• To sarahdicksonjr - don't be so smug in your comments - no one knows what the furure holds but your comment might turn around and bite you in the ass one day. I've seen it happen with marriages that were strong and suddenly fell apart. The absent parent just disappears.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 11:46 AM on Jan. 18, 2010