how can i manage to pay for daycare if i don't qualify for assistance?

i have a 4 yr old, 2 yr old and a new born.. we are over the income limit for daycare assistance by a very small amount.....
how can i possibly afford to pay a house payment, student loans, and 400 bucks/week on child care on a modest income? that's 16oo/mo!!!

we both work our asses off, and i don't want to have to get another job.... this is pretty much ridiculous..
any suggestions, or am i pretty much just screwed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 AM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's why I dont work. We can't afford it! Daycare is too expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• that's the very reason I became a SAHM. daycare would have ended up costing me more than my paycheck! or close to it, I just couldn't see spending all that time at work to only have like $20 in my pocket at the end of the week

try looking into home care providers. their rates are normally lower than centers.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I don't know if this is an option, but it is worth looking into. There is a new government program for repaying student loans. It is income based and you get approved for a year at a time. So if you and your spouse make less then $38thousand gross income, for a family of five, you will qualify for $0 payments. It counts as a payment even though you are not making a payment. Then each year you will reapply and if your income goes up your payment will go up, but not so much that it is unpayable. Then after 25 years any unpaid balance will be paid off by the government. But you have to pay taxes on the written off part that year. Also the interest is deferred for the first three years.
    This by no means should be used to keep from paying off the student loans, but it may be helpful until you move to a higher income bracket. So if you only do it for the first 3 years, your older two will be in school and you will pay less in daycar
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'm sorry, but I think you are trying to do too much! Wouldn't staying home and SAVING $1600/month go a long way towards making a mortgage payment and paying your student loans?

I would look into home-based businesses--there are MANY legitimate ones out there that will allow you to earn some income while being able to care for your children. I stayed home for 8 years, until my younger child started Kindergarten this fall. While I was home, I ran my own gift basket business, had a lucrative Ebay business, and did virtual assistance work to make extra spending money. Maybe you could do some babysitting of your own to make a little extra?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Do you qualify for any other types of assistance? Also, I would look for cheaper childcare. My SKs use to to go to an in home daycare that was $80.00 a week per kid for full time. She might have charged more for a newborn, but even then it would be less than $400/week.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• If you want to look into it call your student loan holder and ask about the Income Based Repayment. Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:36 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Welcome to the new USA, where the middle class no longer exists. Either figure out how to stay home or get a night job so the kids dont have to be in daycare. It sucks balls.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• op here:

well, currently they go to an in home daycare, and unfortunately the amount that we save by going there, we seem to make up for in learning foul words and inappropriate behaviors.. (middle fingers, hitting...........)
    I make most of the money, so i can't stay home, and dh would refuse to sell candles/jewelry/etc.... plus, that opens up a whole new can of worms.. (we've been through this stay at home dad thing before, and it's never been a good situation.. maybe we'll have to discuss it again though...)
    as far as the student loan government option, we make more than 38000... maybe dh should quit his job so we'll qualify for food stamps, daycare assistance, and this government loan thing...
    i'm soooooooooooooooooooo frustrated with the system right now, 2 parents who WANT to work, and WANT to contribute to society, but it's almost not an option.........
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 11:52 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My point is that the repayment plan is income based, meaning no matter how much you make, it will calculate payments that you can afford. The 38000 was only to qualify for $0 payments. You should still qualify for lower payments.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:58 AM on Jan. 18, 2010

• oooooh, thanks for clarifying sleepingbeautee...
    i'll have to check into that..
    katatrinakay

Answer by katatrinakay at 12:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2010