Do you think you are independant or codependant? Why?

I think I am both. I'm independant because I enjoy doing things for myself and others. I am in the military, so that in itself has taught me to be self-sufficient. I think I'm also a little codependant because I don't like being away from my husband. I don't sleep well without him, it just feels like there's a huge void when he's gone.

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 12:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I'm independent. People are around me because I want them here, not because I need them here.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I am the same way as you. I got out of the military Jan 31 '09. :) I considered myself independent for the longest time, including after I met my husband. Now I consider myself co-dependent. I like to do things on my own and for other people, but I also love to just be around my husband. He is still military, so when he is on overnight duties I about die not having him here. In June he will be deploying for a year and my 6 month old (she will be 11mos by then) and I will be moving back home to be with my family so I have help and support close by.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Lizzys_mommy13, I'm going to be going through the same thing. My husband is leaving for a year in March. The kids and I will be going to Oklahoma to stay with my in-laws while he's gone. It's not going to be easy, but at least they won't be gone forever! If you ever want to talk, feel free to contact me seeing that we will be going through the same thing.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 12:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Emotionally, I'm codependent; I don't like being alone, it depresses me (I don't mean my husband's at work and the kids are napping kind of alone, but alone in the sense of having no one to talk to or confide in or turn to, living by myself and not having friends kind of alone). I think most other ways, I'm independent.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with Dragonridermd. I'm emotionally codependent but I live alone and provide for myself in ways other than emotionally.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There is a widely held misunderstanding of the term codependecy, here it is:
    a psychological condition or a relationship in which a person is controlled or manipulated by another who is affected with a pathological condition (as an addiction to alcohol or heroin); broadly : dependence on the needs of or control by another.
    Anonymous