Long Distance Road Trip with Toddler and Baby.

My parents, myself, and my two kids (Hubbs has to work) are taking a road trip from Michigan to Arizona. The route we're taking down to AZ (Senic route) will take us four days driving. The trip back will take three days, since we're taking the quick route home. I have never traveled with children, so I am looking for any advice, tips, or trip savers you have learned on your travels. Whether it's about activity bags, snacks, sanity saving ideas, or just your experiences. All of your ideas, tips, and stories are very much appriciated. Thank You!

Ohh. DS will be 18 months old and DD will be four months old.

JazzlikeMraz

Asked by JazzlikeMraz at 12:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Travel

• there really isn't much a baby and toddler can do in the car. since they can't really read and play video games. I just took a roadtrip with my daughter a few months ago, she is 2 now and it was quite boring for her and it was only 7 hours in the car. But, i can tell you now, I recommend getting some motion sickness medicine for your toddler. The baby is probably too young, but my daughter got car sick. I also recommend driving at night when they are used to sleeping.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 1:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Xtwilightx - I have found many acitivty kit websites that have great ideas for toddlers to do in the car. If you get one of those car seat travel trays it makes their games/crafts soo much easier to do. A lot of unique games that will keep the child interested as well. Plus, if you read to your child, or have a portable DVD player it makes those long car trips a little more bearable fo your youngin'. Those are tips that I have found so far. Thanks for answer though, I appriciate it!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I just drove with my three little ones from Washington to Florida to North Carolina and then the whole twip in reverse. It was about 12 days of driving. I think that snacks and having drinks on hand are the most important things. When I was driving I would stop once a day for gas and bathroom trips so having snacks handy made it so much easier to keep going and keep happy girls. I have a 5, 3 and 2 year old. We brought movies, and books (they can not read but love to look at pictures), then the color wonder markers, leap frog (I found at Goodwill for $2) and music. The kids were pretty good as long as i kept them occupied and kept them from aggravating eachother. As far as snacks I usually bring some cereals, breads, pretzels and fruit snacks. These are all treats for my kids so they are excited to get them and it is a good incentive to be good.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 9:34 PM on Jan. 19, 2010