Changes in WIC

Have you heard about the new changes in WIC? They're supposed to become nationwide, but are starting here in NC. Breastfeeding mothers with infants get the most benefits, they are reducing the amount of juices received and instead offering a $6-8 voucher for fresh produce, and other changes as well. It's supposed to promote healthier eating and breastfeeding. Good idea?

Asked by missanc at 12:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Its already changed in TX! I love it! I can get fruits and veggies now, and bottled juice instead of canned. For the one that doesn't think bf moms should get better benefits, they do it that way because if you are breastfeeding, the nutrition you get also goes to the baby. If you are formula feeding, they cover your expensive formulas, and thats the nutrition to the formula fed babies. Its not that they are biased, its that they are covering the nutrition for both types of infants. I understand why they do it the way they do.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 12:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I dont think it is right that mothers who are breast feeding will get better benefits. I was unable to breast feed my son so why should i get any less?
    Anonymous

• I live in Ohio and it has changed here too. I think it's weird but I guess I will get used to it! They gave my daughter a whole lot less formula too!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• They supposedly will be offering more breastfeeding supports as well to help those who "can't" breastfeed. The number of mothers who physically can't is very low opposed to those who just need extra support. (I'm not bashing, I'm not implying you are in either category, I'm just explaining their reasoning)

Answer by missanc at 12:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It's been that way here for over a yr now .
    We love our fresh fruits and veggies :)
    DS ( 2 yrs old ) get a $6 voucher...and mine just went from $8 to $10...I'm pregnant.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 12:29 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• They already changed it here in Il. You can now get whole wheat bread, $6 worth of fresh, canned, or frozen fruit/veggie so long as nothing is added, they cut down on juice and milk in my case. It's pretty good deal. ;-) I'm glad there's programs like this.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• In Iowa mother's who breastfeed have always gotten more, so this is nothing new to me. If you formula feed you only receive WIC checks for 6 months postpartum but child can get them until age 5. If you BF you get checks for mom and baby as long as you are breastfeeding. Also during that time BF mothers get more milk, baby carrots, and canned tuna, (plus the regular stuff cheese,eggs,juice, cereal) FF mothers just get milk, juice, cheese, eggs, and cereal (maybe peanut butter but I can't remember).

I think getting produce vouchers and less juice is a great idea because we rarely bought all the juice on our checks after the first 6 months because we had such an oversupply.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Nursing is nutritionally draining. The extra food is intended to ensure that nursing women get enough nutrients to keep their own bodies healthy while nursing. WIC has always been this way. I got tuna, extra milk, and carrots while on WIC because my son was nursing, before the new changes. I don't qualify anymore but I've seen the new vouchers in effect locally for almost half a year now. I think they're great.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 12:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I don't know about the breastfeeding mothers getting more here since I don't BF, but there is a lot of animosity in the WIC office toward formula even though they do give vouchers. They have posters on the walls that are handmade and read something along the lines of formula being a long running scientific experiment. We get $6.00 a month to buy fresh fruit for my eldest and vouchers that in total buy only half the amount of formula and less than half the amount of baby food my daughter needs. She is allergic to the protein in milk and milk products so she needs expensive formula and they cut her benefits because of that.

I don't think most of what WIC does is fair. I won't go into all the b.s. I've seen there but as soon as she doesn't need that expensive stuff anymore, or our money situation improves, we're done with WIC.
    Anonymous

• I hope they don't/haven't decreased the amount of formula they provide. When we had our twins WIC helped us out big time. The premature twins needed a special formula that was very pricey. We couldn't have made it without the assistance of WIC. The pregnancy was an oops, but an oops we could afford but when we found out they were twins that hits you a lot harder financially and more than expected. Everything changed, our vehicle was to small so we had trade vehicles, extra baby cribs just more. Like I said we could not have made it without WIC helping us out with the formula, even with their contribution we still had to pay for quite a bit of formula.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 12:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2010