How and when did you introduce whole cow's milk to your baby?

Did you warm it up? Did you mix it with BM? Any tips? please.... ty

marchma2b

Asked by marchma2b at 12:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started at 11 months, but most drs say not to until 1 year. I heated it up and mixed it with formula (I breastfed for 9 months and then he started on formula) in a sippy cup. I started with 74% formula to 25% milk and then gradually reduced the formula, increased the milk until it was all milk. Then I started reducing the amount of time I heated it for until now at 14 months he drinks it cold.

Answer by missanc at 12:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• For my son (who is 9yrs now) I started him at 11 months,mixing a little regular milk into his formula,by age 1 he was completely off formula (and bottles..don't know how the hell I pulled that one off but I did,LOL).
    Now, I have an 11 month old girl and I started mixing an ounce of regular milk into her formula a couple weeks ago.I will increase the milk to formula ratio as the weeks go on. Yes, I warm it up because she drinks her formula warm.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i gave it to my son when he was 1 yr. right after his 1 yr doc app and everything as good health wise. i started off just giving him 1 sippy cup of whole milk now he was use to warm stuff and wasent to happy with the cold but by the 2nd sippy cup later that day he was fine.i remember him saying mmmmmm.. and thats all i did i didnt add to anything like bm. his doc said try to give him the milk first if he takes it great if not then i can add if i wanted to..he loves milk now and he's 4.
    Anonymous

• 1 year. i used a sippy cup and got rid of the bottle at the same time. i figured it would be easier to get rid of it earlier than later. worked like a charm...no problem.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I gave it to my oldest at 1 year. I heated it just a little I think, it's been a while so I'm trying to remember, and gave it to him in a sippy cup. I didn't mix it with formula. I didn't warm it for long though. Just a short time.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• should i warm it in the microwave?
    marchma2b

Answer by marchma2b at 12:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i never did cows milk. we went right from breast milk to water. i wouldn't warm it up in the microwave, if you are giving milk for nutritional reasons, then the microwave can destroy any nutrition that may be there.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• One year, straight up in a cup, cool but not cold.

He wasn't impressed...and remains that way at age ten. Don't sweat cow's milk. Baby doesn't need it as much as the dairy industry needs your money.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Oh., no microwaves, ever, for what goes in baby's mouth. Causes hot spots.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I started introducing it at 11 months or so, by mixing an ounce into the formula. Gradually increased the amount of milk.
    Anonymous