College... I don't even know where to start... lol. Can someone help me out a little on getting started?

I have 3 days off for work and on two of those days, my son is in school. I really have nothing to do during the day so I was thinking of taking a couple of college classes. I have never really been into college but I think it would be a great way to spend my days off. I know nothing about college or degrees or online classes that our college has to offer and I don't even know what I should look into taking or not. Classes start on the 23rd of January.

ProudMom_5703

Asked by ProudMom_5703 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

Level 1 (-7 Credits)
  • What is it that you want to do in life? Go to the college and talk to one of their career counselors. Even if you know what degree you want to go for, I would recommend easing your way into it. Start out with maybe an English class or one of the other basic courses. I would also start out with just one at a time so you aren't overloaded with work and being a mommy with school. Just until you get used to it, and then you can try upping the work load.
    Lizzys_mommy13

Answer by Lizzys_mommy13 at 12:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Choose one class that you know you will need with just about any degree and choose one class that interests you, or consider taking something that will help you in your current profession. Use this first semester to get your feet wet and start deciding what you might want to do with a degree. GL!
    Anonymous

• start with english and math...you will need it no matter what degree you end up getting. this will give u a semester to figure out what u want to go 4. i agree with the first post...go see a councelor. oh, go to community college at first. it is way cheaper.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We only have a community college where I live... so I should just tell her/him I want to start with the basic classes? How do online classes work? I'm 25 and I have no idea what I want to go to school for or what they have to offer. Sad, I know but I never wanted to go to college so this is the first time I am looking into it.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 12:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• you might not have enough time to register & start by jan 23rd but you might. youll need to start right away. you have to go to your local community college, go to the registration office & fill out an application & pay i think $30. then they will send you a letter saying your accepted, you have to go to the financial aid office with your tax returns and they will help you fill out FAFSA if you want financial aid, unless you plan on paying out of pocket for it, then you go see an advisor who will show you different degree sheets, & tell you wish classes you should start taking, and she will help you find the right classes at the right times, and give you the sheet you need to register & then you bring that sheet to the bursar and your registered! then you start. you buy books. my financial aid gives me a $500 credit at the bookstore to pay for my books, they also pay for all of my classes now that im a mother. PM if you want!
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Call your local community college and make an appt with an admissions rep. Check their website, and you should be able to download and print an application (or even submit it directly online). You'll need that done before the meeting. Unless you're wanting to take non-credit classes, they'll want you to take an assessment test to determine where to place you in English and math. If your skills are rusty you need to start with a 0 level course to get you up to speed.

They should also have a course catalog and list of courses of study available on the website - your meeting with the adviser will go more smoothly if you at least have some idea of what direction you want, even if it's just gen ed, getting the basics out of the way until you decide. Pretty much all comms offer most classes online now, so it's up to you which way to go.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Most programs require basic classes like English 101, a science, a math, a history so it's not important what field you want to go in to yet. Major's are usually required until Junior year bc the first two years tend to be the basic requirements of general studies. Go to the school and see a counselor to help you or see online what classes are still open. Don't forget to fill out a FAFSA form for financial aid if you need that. I'd get on the website of the school and see what they require for enrollment. Some require more than others like a paper in addition to transcripts from all schools you've attended including high school. Just call an admission counselor and see what you need to do. I like your idea though. Good luck. My dd entered this month at the last minute and it worked out fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:02 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Go to the school and ask to speak with a student advisor if none are available make and appointment. They will help you with the process. I would hurry and do it soon classes could be full and you still need to put in an application and get them transcripts from high school. I would go today to get started.
    Anonymous

• the very first thing you should do is go to: fasfa.ed.gov and fill it out! see if you qualify for any financial aid. (this is a slight process that will take some time.. you'll need your tax information as well)... then you should call which ever school you wish to attend and set up a meeting with an adviser.. at this meeting they will tell you to go online and fill out a fasfa (you will be ahead of them already!!) and they will talk to you about what kind of classes you want/need to take, and they will get you going in the right direction. hope this helped a little!!! good luck!
    Anonymous

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:58 AM on Jan. 19, 2010