Catholics Only - Help!

OK long story short, my dad is Catholic, divorced parents. I went to Catholic church until I was about 7 years old. Then moved in with my mom, she no longer is Catholic. Moved back to dads at about 13, went to Catholic church again. Moved back to mom's later that year.

I miss the I guess you could say "comforts" of mass. I have several issues, one of which being OCD. I miss mass. I miss the repetition and such (that's what I mean when I say comfort BTW)

So here's my problem... I never had first communion... I don't know what to do at this point. When I was back at mass when I was 13, I remember feeling very silly sitting there on the pew while everyone else took communion.

I want to know how to go about getting back into the Catholic church. Do I need to do the classes for people converting?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• thanks for all the advice mommas!

I looked up some of the local parishes online, due to the holiday today, offices are closed but I did send an email.

Anonymous

• call your parish church. there is someone always in the office who handles communions and other (can't remember the word) ceremonies.

I have to call this week to learn about my dd's communion and thats what I was told.

fromthere they will point you in the right direction.

good luck! :)
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP Here -
    on top of being out of church for about 15 years, I might want to add that we moved to a new state 2 years ago. So I have never even been to the church here. Is there some sort of procedure for going to a new church?

UGH! so lost!
    I just hope it's not like when my hubby had me go to his baptist parent's church... Never felt so judged in my life as when they had vote to see if I could join the church! OMG!
    Anonymous

• When you start attending a new parish, you "register" with the office. Their office staff will help you, or if you have a buliten from mass, they should have a list of phone #'d of who to call to handle things like that.
    Anonymous

• Call a parish you are interested in joining they can help you they are used to taking calls like yours all the time.. There are RCIA classes. Congradulations.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Like Anon. 11:59 and RyansMom said call the parish office, or you can actually go to the parish office itself. Pick a parish near you and ask them for help.

You will probably need to take RCIA (Rite of Catholic Initiation for Adults) basically this is what will help you brush back up on Catholic teachings and doctorine and get your ready for Reconcilation, Communion and Confirmation.

Don't be afraid and it's okay to feel a bit lost and confused...but just call one of your local parishes and ask them to help direct you in the right direction, ask them about if you have to attend RCIA (which I wouldn't be surprised if they say you need to most adults either coming back or joining the Catholic Church go through RCIA first). They'll help you with the rest.

God bless and I'll pray for you!
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 1:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• As others have said, the best thing is to contact the parish you're interested in joining. They can give you information about procedures for joiing the parish (usually it's just filling out a form) and learning about and making your First Communion. Some parishes will have you go through private instruction, others may have you go through the RCIA program (the program fo rpeople converting). Thank you for the respect you show for th Catholic faith by understanding you need to prepare for First Communion! Until then, you can make a "Spiritual Communion" when others go up to receive the Body fo Christ. (cont.)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 1:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• To make a spiritual communion you can recite the following prayer (or use your own words with the same message):

My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
    I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul.
    Since I cannot at this moment receive You sacramentally,
    come at least spiritually into my heart.
    I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You.
    Never permit me to be separated from You.
    eringobrough

• Everyone else already gave great answers but I want to offer the website Catholics Come Home.  It's for anyone seeking the Catholic faith, whether or not they've received any Sacraments.

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 3:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010