Is it ok to workout before breakfast?

I'm dieting but I want to get back into exercise. A personal trainer once told me that it's not good to exercise on an empty stomach and I've read this in books as well.

However, the most doable time for me to exercise is as soon as I wake up because, if I have breakfast, I have to wait at least an hour and by then my kids are awake.

Since I'll be going to school full time in one week from today, exercising first thing when I wake up is the most realistic time due to my very busy schedule.

I'd appreciate any input. Thanks

MomOfThree0607

Asked by MomOfThree0607 at 12:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• It is best to eat breakfast first, but if you just cant stomach it right away try having a yogurt smoothie for breakfast. That way at least your metabolism gets a jump start before you start your workout.

I hate eating breakfast especially right away after i get up, it just makes me feel sick but the smoothies seem to be okay on my stomach and i will sometimes have a banana with it.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• "So if you don't like to eat early in the morning, but you do prefer to work out, try eating a yogurt cup or a piece of fruit before your workout. It'll boost your energy reserves, help your blood sugar remain stabilized and you can still burn slightly more fat without shortening your workout. "

http://fitness.families.com/blog/working-out-better-before-or-after-breakfast

There's a good discussion of it here. In your situation, I'd say eat a piece of fruit or a dish of yogurt so that you have energy to exercise, then eat a breakfast to keep you going through the morning.

Answer by Bmat at 12:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree. Eat light. Then exercise. However, I have to add that when i do that I tend to eat more when I do eat so be careful. Exercise can work up an appetite.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Thanks ladies. It's not that I can't stomach breakfast, it's just that I dont have enough time to wait an hour before I exercise after breakfast cause the kids are awake by then. But thanks, I think I'll try to eat light cause I don't like having to exercise on an empty stomach either
    MomOfThree0607

Answer by MomOfThree0607 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I can't stand the sight of food in the morning and I go for 3-5 mile walks with no food in my stomach, just coffee.. spiruleena ( for protien, iron, b vitamins) I take other supplements as well, including fish oil...I know it's not the healthiest thing to do but it works for me~! I really notice the difference in my stamina when I forget to take the spiruleena though, I think protien is key to building muscle, and keeping energy levels high.
    Anonymous

• definitely eat something small, then have a more substantial breakfast after.

just watch out for smoothies - they're LOADED with calories. healthy yes, but all calories.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:06 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I just grab something small but high in protein, like a handful of almonds or something like that. Then I have a healthy breakfast afterwards.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 2:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Eat breakfast then workout, even if it is right after you wake up. Making lifestyle changes is apart of getting into better shape. It can be something as simple as a granola bar, a bagle, or a piece of fruit. Just something to give you energy. Working on an empty stomach is bad, because food is what gives your body energy. Energy it needs to do these workouts. Eat before you workout, so you're not putting unneeded stress on your body.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think you need to just excercise and not worry about it. You will gain benefits no matter what. Fresh air and sunshine and fresh foods prepared at home. NO sugar, white flour, prepackaged foods are your best bet to losing weight and staying healthy.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 3:07 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Fasted cardio is recommended for some women. Just drink water before, during , and after. Have a snack ready as soon as you get finished. Maybe a smoothie or a yogurt or something small and light. because your body needs to refuel asap. you can drink down a smoothie before jumping in the shower.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:32 PM on Jan. 18, 2010