Am I the only one aggrivated by the fact that kids are hardly ever scheduled to be in school anymore?

My children are too young for actual school yet, but we do go through two school zones on our way to daycare every morning. I noticed AGAIN this morning that kids are out of school. I understand it is a holiday... but they are ALWAYS finding an excuse not to have them in school these days. I remember going to school many more days and many more hours a day than they could even dream of being there these days. It is rediculous!
How are they supposed to get an education if they aren't IN SCHOOL to get one?

My oldest starts Pre-K this year in August and all I can think is how much she is going to miss out on with her education and how much more my other younger children will miss by the time they get into school.

So, am I the only parent who feels this way?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When I was in school (I'm 25) we had a majority of the important Holidays off, spring break, winter break, and then summer vacation. Except in Elementary school in FL we went all year around. So we had two weeks off every couple of months If I remember correctly. They can still get a proper education if the school board is doing their job in basing a strong carriculum while they're in school.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree that it seems like they have many more days off of school. But I also noticed they start earlier and go later then we did. But as for hours. They are the same times I went.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• some of those days are inservice days where the teachers still have to go to school to be trained and to learn new things for the sake of thier teaching. I think it is hard on the parents that aren't home during the day because when the kids are out of school, who's watching thier kids?
    Anonymous

• I personally think kids spent too much time in school. I'd much prefer 4 day weeks and shorter days... there is much to be learned outside of school and after five 6-7 hour days + homework and extra curriculars, most kids don't have time for much else.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think the last thing I would do is complain that my kids aren't in school enough! It seems like kids have to start going full time way too soon anyway, and don't forget they are KIDS so they need days off too, when they are adults then maybe you can complain that they don't work enough. If you want your kids in school full time without any time off then send them to boarding school and if you think that they are having too many days off and not learning enough-take the time to teach them yourself instead of relying soley on the the school to do it. I know that you said that your kids aren't old enough so you arent talking about your kids having the days off so in this post when I say "you" I mean the parents of the children getting the days off.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Not around here. My kids do have off today since it's a holiday. They tend to get one of these Monday holidays off a month and there is one teacher in-service a month. They get 2 weeks off for Christmas, 1 week off for spring break and 2 days off for Thanksgiving. They start the last week of August and go through the first week of June. Just like when I was a kid. They get no more or no less days off then when I was a kid. By law here they have to have a minimum of 180 days.
    The public schools around here have different schedules. They go year round and have month long breaks instead of 3 months off for summer so there are always large groups of kids not in school during every month.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:36 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• i am glad to have these days off to spend some quality time with my kids. school days are always so rushed from before the sun is up to long after it is down again. it is nice to have an extra day to have some fun.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Children attend school for 180 days a year. It's the exact same amount as when we were kids.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Nope. They deserve the days off. I enjoy those times with my kids. As for the hours, in my days we started at 8:30 and ended at 2:30. so they're having longer days than us. High school was 8 to 2:15, i think they extended it by now...
    Supermommy23

Answer by Supermommy23 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• The state just changed the law here that they cannot have half days. So this year there are none. Also, my SKs are in school longer than is required by the state. They are in school from 8:00 to 3:08. That is about the same length that I was in school if I remember correctly. I do not know about other places, but here I do not feel that this is a problem. Another school district near by has the elementaries on different time schedules than the middle and high schools to help with transportation. i don't know when the middle and high school starts, but the elementary starts at 7:20am and gets out at 2:20pm. Again, I don't see a problem with this. I don't see a problem with the kids being in school for 7 hours.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2010