did you ever think you might be wrong?

I understand that each of us think that are religion is the right one, or that our beliefs or lack of beliefs are right. Not only do I understand this, but I agree with it. Why would I join a religion that doesn't sit right with me?

That is fine, if you don't agree with something, but is is possible you are wrong about other religions? The last time I check God is the only one right so is it possible each of could be wrong as much as we are wrong?

I don't understand why so many of us are ready to insist our interpretation or beliefs is the only right way.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 1:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I studied other religions. I minored in Religious Studies in college. I'm not wrong (for me) in what I believe.

Answer by admckenzie at 1:38 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Coincidence admckenzie, I also majored in religious studies. I agree I'm not wrong (FOR ME) in what I believe. I would like to add, I am WRONG if I try to tell someone else they are wrong.

I don't understand how so many people are quick to jump another person because they feel or perceive one thing. Isn't part of God's love to be accepting of others?
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Because it is what they believe is the right religion for them and want others to hear about it. Just like we all fight about everything else because we have our bliefs in what is right. It will never stop and you have to just ignore it and say well that is what they believe and that is great.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• correction to OP

understand that each of us think that OUR religion is the right one, or that our beliefs

can't edit for some reason
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:43 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I'm not sure that anyone can be truly wrong in what they believe when it comes to religion and God. It's such a slippery slope, and being that a belief falls under the "opinion" category and not "fact" I'd say that as long as someone believes in their religion whole heartedly, it can't be proven wrong. It is however, very typical for people to think that they're religion is better than someone else's. That would fall under the "ignorant" category and it's pointless to argue with those individuals. All it boils down to is respect. Respect others views and beliefs, even if you don't agree with them.
    Anonymous

• Raeann11, I agree with you as well. At some point we need to step back and say that is what they believe.

It just doesn't make sense to keep telling a person or group their interpretation of the bible is wrong. At some point we have to say that is how they perceive it and that is how it is.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I could be wrong. I don't believe in anything involving God. I believe in what can be presented to me with proof. Now, I could be totally wrong. Maybe there is an omnipotent, invisible man who lives in the sky and shows favoritism for those who believe in him and love him. At the same time, maybe I'm right and there is nothing after death besides nothingness. Or, we could just be going around and around coming back each time we die in a new life with the quality we deserve based on the life we lived before. I don't know. I just base my faith (or lack thereof) on what is tangible. And to me, a magic invisible man in the sky just isn't it.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• That would fall under the "ignorant" category and it's pointless to argue with those individuals.

agreed!

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My belief system is based on proven theories and my faith. If it were not for God, I would most certainly not be living today.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:51 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Wait, so there's no objective truth? There's no absolute right or wrong?

THAT doesn't make any sense.

In order for something to be RIGHT something ELSE has to be WRONG. There is no such thing as "everything is right".

Have I questioned my faith? You bet I have. How else would I learn about it? How else would I come to believe it was true and right otherwise? If people don't question or at least seek to understand and learn more about their faith, they're stymating themselves...learning and asking questions to learn more is part of how we grow--whether in faith or in other things.

But something has to be wrong if something else is right. If everything was ALL right, then why would we have rules saying something was wrong?
    MamaBee07

Answer by MamaBee07 at 3:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2010