Please explain

Matthew 5:39

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It means to not waste your time with revenge.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Matthew 5:39 (New International Version)
    But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

It means to not retaliate. It is hard, as it is human nature. We are to not allow people to get the best of us or argue with them. Only pray for them.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• “You heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ However, I say to you: Do not resist him that is wicked; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other also to him.” (Mt 5:38, 39) Jesus was not teaching pacifism or denying the right of self-defense from bodily harm. He was teaching that a Christian does not need to pay back blow for blow, retaliating, taking vengeance. What Jesus was saying was that if anyone tried to provoke a Christian into a fight or argument by for example either slapping him literally or with insulting words, it would be wrong to retaliate. This is in harmony with the statements of the apostles, giving further emphasis to this principle. Romans 12:17-21; 1Peter 3:9.
    [I'm a JW] Hope this helps xxx
    pomander

Answer by pomander at 2:28 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• What I'm wondering is why so many people that call themselves "Christians" don't actually follow this teaching...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2010