When you say something stupid to your child, how do you make it right?

I said something so completely out of character to my 6 yr old, I'm having a hard time recovering from it. No, I did not call him names or tell him he was stupid, (which I would never do), but I used a word to describe something he was doing that is just so outrageous, that I am in horror of myself! I did apologize and told him it was a bad word, and that I would never say it again. BUT, he was very persistant in asking me the meaning of the word, and rather than him going to school or daycare and asking someone there, I thought it better if I told him.
But now I am totally distressed over it. I asked the advise of someone I work with, and feel like I am a totally horrible person/parent. I could burst into tears momentarily.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think if you explained what was said.. People could help you much easier.
    Anonymous

• I agree... tell us what it was you said if you want some help. We have all said something one time or another that we wish we hadn't.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• you don;t have to tell him. Jusrt say when he's older you will talk with him about it, but for now that is something only for gorwn ups to know. Don't let your guilt gt to you,because that is teaching him to hold onto his guilt when he makes a mistake. You apologized and I'm sure he forgave you (children are wonderful at forgiving), so let it go and dont' worry. He'll be fine.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with precious333. I have said things before that were inappropriate and I am just honest with my kids. I tell them that what I said was wrong, I apologize and leave it alone. If they bring it up again later, I simply say yes I was wrong and I apologized and there is nothing more to say. He will move on.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think most moms say something they shouldn't say or do at some point of time. It's our reaction to what we say or do that makes the most impact.

If we ignore it and don't make it right then kids feel that it's no big deal and they can say/do it too. If we explain to them that even we as moms make mistakes, that we need to make it right, it's a huge lesson learned for him.

Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 5:40 PM on Jan. 18, 2010