Are mormons racist?

Read something on the internet about this recently and I am wondering if they are racist. I live around alot of mormons and they do seem a little "clanish". Could this be why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I grew up with and now work with a good number of mormon and they have never been anything but super nice to everyone. (I am not mormon I am Christian) I know that mormons in general are not racist but I am sure just like in any group of people there are some who are.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• In the book, it actually says that when the Tower of Babel was destroyed, the evil people were coloured by God for their sins, and when their sins were washed clean it would be obvious because they would be white again.

Having had a brief conversation with an Elder one day when I was bored (and he promised that he'd send someone back to pick up their book and 'splain it to me more clearly), I was assured 'we don't interpret it that way anymore.' I wondered aloud how such clear language could be 'interpreted' any other way ... which was greeted with very uncomfortable silence.

Net interpretation: the guy who wrote the book was absolutely a bigot. That has little to do with current adherents of the religion.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Not that I have ever seen but in every religion you are always going to have that small percentage that has other beliefs and takes it a little too far.

Part of my family is mormon and we are a very mixed race family, the ones who are mormon are my uncle who is married to a korean woman they have 4 children one ,married a white man the other two have korean spouses. I also have a hispanic cousin who is mormon married to a white woman. So I have never seen a racist side to mormons.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Mormons believe that all decendants of Cain were stricken black because of his sin. That was the "mark" that God put on him. For a long time Blacks were not allowed in the Mormon religion, but they have since changed that, and are accepting of all races. I have yet to see a black mormon, though... I probably wouldn't want to be associated with a religion that said that about my skin color either.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• the mormons that i have known have been very impressive to me! Truly good people to the core!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Honey, I don't know what books you're reading, but there are lots of books out there claiming to be Mormon doctrine, (even written by old church leaders) that just simply are not official doctrines of the church.

There's a very specific process for something to become official doctrine including all 12 apostles agreeing to it, AND it being officially published by the church itself (no other publishing company ever counts). 

I think http://www.blacklds.org/ gives a fair history of the church regarding blacks, and an accurate view of doctrines.

Anonymous

• i'm not and we have blacks or colored in our church. i'm mormon. judge for yourself but don't group everyone into the same catergory. anyone could be raciest no matter what religion you are.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• ive heard that the LDS church use to teach that being black was the "mark of Cain", but im pretty sure this was denounced a long time ago.

all i know is that my VERY Mormon friend from high school is married to a black man so i doubt the organization is racist. she would never go against her church. now on an individual basis im sure there are some racists just like their are in any group...but thats not the LDS' fault.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:23 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I had a black mormon come to my door once and we even talked about this. They don't teach that anymore. I wish they never would have taught that to begin with.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:45 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I've met a black Mormon. A hispanic one as well. The reason some don't run into them has more to do with their local demographics and not the church being racist
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 19, 2010