My 7 month old daughter gets up at least 3 times a night...

First let me say I am breastfeeding and realize that means I may need to get up once or even twice in the night to feed her, and I am happy to do that. However I can't get her to sleep much more than 2 hours at a time. I haven't ever had the strength to let her cry...do you think I need to try? I know how important good sleep is and I don't know if getting up this often is good for her. She takes 2 naps per day usually at least an hour each....I don't have much trouble getting her down at night, it's the staying asleep that's an issue....I nurse her to sleep everytime....Anyone have any advice that might help?

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 1:57 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• **OP** I should add that this has been going on for about 3 months so I don't think it's just a growth spurt or teething...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 1:58 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• its completely normal. when you nurse at night do yo lay down nursing? you may get more sleep once you learn to nurse laying down :)
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree, totally normal. My 20 month old still wakes up at night. We're just starting sleep training with her. I don't think you should let her CIO if it doesn't feel right to you. She's getting plenty of sleep, especially since she's such a good napper.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 2:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Completely normal. Co-sleep and you will both get plenty of sleep. Especially right now shes becoming very busy during the day and probably making up for missed milk intake.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 2:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• can you co sleep? you will hardly feel as though your sleep is interrupted that way!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It may be common, but at 7 months there are very few children that physically cannot sleep through the night without nursing at night. She's waking up, because we all do and since she's being nursed to sleep that's how she needs to get back to sleep. If you can start getting her to go to sleep without nursing and learn how to get herself to sleep, when she wakes at night she will know how to get herself back to sleep. You can try putting her down when she's really drowsy and almost asleep but not quite and see if she will drift off. The crying thing - it depends on how comfortable you are with it. Mine I always let fuss for a few minutes, but it never took more than 5-10 minutes before they went to sleep.
    I think that one long extended sleep is much better for our bodies than several short naps. I know I don't feel the same sleeping in "naps" as I do when I sleep all night without remembering waking.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• While missanc is convincing, she isn't looking at current research... Regardless of what parents do or do not do, babies in recorded (rather than 'reported') sleep studies wake periodically through the night, and if they need something, they cry out for help. Sometimes parents sleep through that, particularly if they are adamant that their children 'sleep through the night.' It's amazing what doesn't wake some people up.

It is normal for people to wake through the night, scan their bodies and their environment for anything that needs attention, and if nothing is needed they return to sleep, usually without any memory of waking.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:35 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I agree with the PP LindaClement.
    If your baby is thriving and is happy she is getting enough sleep. Babies have much shorter sleep cycles than adults do. If you think she is reverse cycling (nursing more at night to make up for being so busy during the day) you can try to encourage more breastfeeding during the day.
    In any case, sleeping patterns change a lot in the first year and don't really settle until age three or four. This too shall pass.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I didn't say that babies didn't wake up during the night, I was saying that they DO wake up. I agree with you "if they need something, they cry out for help" My point is that if they can soothe themselves back to sleep, then they don't need anything and they go back to sleep, much as we do as adults. I sleep with my babies monitor beside my bed - my husband is a light sleeper and sometimes he wakes when my son rolls over in his crib, he's not sleeping through my son crying.

Answer by missanc at 3:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• OP you said you are breastfeeding, but what solid foods is your baby eating? She may want to nurse less if you have a feeding including solids before bedtime. I don't necessarily like the rice and oat cereals today, but you can certainly make or purchase baby food and give her some sort of fruit ot vegetable before bedtime. Solids are good to start introducing at 4-6 months whether you are BF or FF.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 3:59 PM on Jan. 18, 2010