The 'sharing a room' question got me thinking...

My sons are 11 and 3 and they share a room. My problem is this, my 3 year old insists on sleeping with his big brother in a twin size bed, even though he has his own. Is this "too close for comfort"? I am worried that my 11 year old needs more privacy. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• yeah, I would not allow that. Its sweet that the little one likes his big brother so much, but big brother really needs his own space.
    Anonymous

• Ask him. I have a 3 yr old grandson who adores his 11 yr old brother. He sneaks in his room to hang with him. The 11 yr old is ok with it but my dd always asks if he wants his privacy or if the little one can stay.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I have an 8 year old and a 3 month old. My older son constantly asks if he can have the baby in his room, but I just think there is too much of an age gap. I do think your 11 year old needs more privacy, but I do not have any clue how to get your little one to sleep in his own bed...
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 2:15 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• As long as the oldest is not say he does not him in his bed it is fine. I say as soon as the 11 yr says I don't want him inmy bed then you need to do something.
    Anonymous

• So how do I get him to sleep in his own bed? We bought him cute Car sheets, pillows, etc, and put the bed next to his brothers and he still insists on sleeping with his brother. He will cry till he can. We even have let him fall asleep on the bed and then put him on his own bed andhe will wake up in the middle of the night and get in bed with his brother. Thanks for the replies by the way.
    Anonymous

• I don't think they should be sharing a room unless you hav no other choice bc pretty soon your 11 yo is going to be doing stuff your 3 yo should not be expose to yet. I have a 9 yo son and he is already doing that.
    Anonymous

• i wouldnt let them share rooms either just because i feel that they need privacy at a certain age and also because there are maturity levels. my SD is 9. My daughter is 18 mos. she will 2 this summer and my SD will be 10. I would not want them sharing rooms because i do not want my daughter around the maturity level that my SD is at. Although she should be a good big sister, she is still a kid.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• bunk beds, older on top, younger on bottom and rules - Younger is simply too young to be on the top bunk.
    Anonymous

• I'm sure the 11yo will let you know when he no longer wants to share a bed with baby brother. It will probably work better if he tells little brother that it's time to sleep in his own bed and explains why.
    There is nothing wrong with siblings sharing rooms.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:27 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• Yes. Your older son is going to be going through puberty and a lot of changes and he deserves his privacy. If there is another bedroom. give them separate rooms.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2010