What kind of storage do you have for toys?

We are in the process of making my 4 year old a playroom. I am looking at buying storage to keep her toys. I would like something that you couldn't be able to see the toys. We already have a toy box, so looking for something different.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in General Parenting

• we ahve a rubber maid type dresser thing we got at walmart, it is plastic and rubber and has 3 drawers,not very tall
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 2:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We had some plastic containers that we have pictures on the outide on what goes in it. we do also have some baskets with pictures on the outside on it too. So they know where it goes. I all depends on the toys what we use each one for.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Maybe dresser darwers or in a closet?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:31 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• the huge boxes diapers come in when we are done with the diapers
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We have a storage case with wicker baskets that we got from AC Moore - we actually have two. It looks nice when they toys are put away - the baskets have cloth liners in them, it's very clean and nice. My sister has a similar one she got from Target with plastic bins, except the plastic bins are tilted out so you can see what's in them. I like that the one I have the baskets slide in straight so you can't see the toys at all when they 're put away. My kids have memorized which toys go where, but it might depend on the age of your child and your needs.

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Why don't you want the toys to be visible?

We used a room full of open shelves, some with smaller plastic containers to hold smaller 'sets'... it was easier for the kids to find things without having to pull everything out, and easier for them to put their own things away. It was also simple to put the small things well over the heads of the little people who couldn't play with those safely.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• We have a large black bookcase type of thing in our livingroom with square holes in it (could be a room divider ..got it at costco). Then we bought black fabric boxes at ikea and we store her toys in there. I also keep clothes, diapers, wipes, etc. in a couple of them so I don't have to run up and down the stairs all day long for baby gear. Its great for managing toys too. We have a one box at a time rule...we only pull one out at a time, play with those toys and when we're done, all the toys go back in there and we pull out another. That way we don't end up with every toy we own on our livingroom floor! We also bought two black ottomans that have flip tops with hard tops underneath so they can be used as a coffee table plus they have storage inside for larger toys. I love that we can easily turn our livingroom back into an adult type space when the children are in bed.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Right now we have a laundry basket for his toys, and that's not permenant. If it's possible .. you could make a window seat, or a wall unit that has different cabnits, shelving, etc. Then it could store their toys and also serve for different uses. Like house crafts, extra accessories for their dolls or barbies, trucks, etc.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• http://www.thecompanystore.com/parent/Kids+Furniture+Playroom+Furniture/5708/XM30X/

That is what I'm refering to. It would serve as a piece of furniture, house lots of toys, crafts, etc. Also it would hide everything that you don't want seen.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 8:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• In my son's playroom we use a combination of storage solutions. For large toys we have open shelves that are the very sturdy industrial type ones (just in case he decides he wants to climb them). Big toys like the train set & boardgames, etc. are stored on these shelves. Also on the shelves is space for small toy storage or those that have lots of parts. I use opaque plastic bins w/photo labels & keep things like legos, matchbox cars & art supplies in them. The opaque bins are white & they give the space a neater look than totally clear bins would & you avoid the cluttered look more colorful bins might create. With the labels, identifying what is where & what goes where is a cinch, even for the pre-reading crowd. We also have one long, wide bookshelf for storing books & DVDs & the electronics sit on top out of reach of little hands. Finally, there's the toybox for the big trucks & a rolling bin for dres-up clothes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:00 AM on Jan. 19, 2010