Why do you think it is so hard to respect if someone has a difference of opinion?

I notice that people turn a debate into fighting and name calling. It seems people can not have a civil debate anymore.

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 2:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We all are entitled to our opinions, however passionately we may feel about them but we are not entitled to disrespect people.  People who disrespect others, usually post anon and we have come to just expect such behavior from some reg. posters. I try to ignore them but I also try not to fall into their traps.  I know that some post anon because of stalkers and I undersand that, and all anons are not mean.  But, I think some of them and some reg. posters, intentionally, try to disrupt posts in order to keep us arguing and off topic, it seems this is only a game to them. I hate it when we get lured into their ugliness, most of us have families and these issues are very real to us.  I wish that those who prefer to be hateful and mean would move on elsewhere, I often wonder what they would do if we ALL, just ignore them...

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:48 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• nope, not on here.

there is a world of difference between respecting someone else and their opinion, and agreeing to disagree. I like to agree to disagree, and leave it at that (though if you look at my responses to religion you might believe differently LOL)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It's easy to bully when you're not dealing face to face. Annie (Anon) makes it so easy to say stuff that I'm sure many would not have the nerve, strength or conviction to say in a real life conversation.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• There is only one member that uses her profile that I think it would result in physical violence  with if we were face to face!! The rest are ANONS that would NEVER say it to your face if they can't even say it with their profile..KWIM??

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Answered at 2:50 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 by:

* Sisteract
    It's easy to bully

How true that is. Some don't even need the anon button to take swipes at anyone who disagree with them and then make sweeping generalizations about why they disagree

Answered at 2:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 by:
    o Sisteract
    -Must be difficult to naviagte through life when EVERYTHING needs to be so 1 sided, less you're coming apart at the seems-

Anonymous

• I own what I say. Yes, it must be difficult to make decisions in a very dynamic environment (life) when it's 1 way only;no other choices or options explored or considered. If I met you, ANNIE, I would feel the same way-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:19 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• when it's 1 way only;no other choices or options explored or considered.

And there you ASSume that's the situation of all who disagree with you. There's no room your narrow little mind for any other possibility. Then you wonder why people don't take you seriously or remain civil with you. You insult people here on a daily basis.
    Anonymous

• I will take your comment into consideration when YOU are brave enough to be an adult woman and own it. Otherwise, it means nothing, except to you (which I doubt, unless you'd be adult enough  to own it) Have a great day-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think there are genuine insults and THEN there are the people that get their panties in a twist and SEE it as a personal insult when someone states a difference of opinion that they base on religious or moral objections. Listen, I have seen more people insult Christians and their beliefs on here then ANY other group or idea presented but you dont see those people being insulted jumping for the report button every 2 seconds (yeaeeaaaah...we know who THAT is ;). Here's the deal, there will ALWAYS be things said in the heat of an argument that people will not say on average, everyday hoe do you do. But as every woman on HERE feels strongly enough about their convictions to get on here and debate..I am betting the same results would ensue if face to face :) I think that reporting every answer you deem insulting (asking if an anon could read..REALLY??!!) is stupid. If you think a persons Q or A is stupid, DONT RESPOND!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Ummmmmm...werent there a WHOLE lot MORE answers here a min ago?
    momof030404