Should I let them be late to school?

Olympic torch is coming through my parents neighborhood tomorrow morning. I want to take my girls to see it go by, but school starts at 8:30.

I will take them to school after the ceremony is done, but I'm torn.

Let them experience something they may never get again? or send them to school.

oh and my kids are in grade 3, 1 and preschool.

hypermamaz

Asked by hypermamaz at 2:41 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I assume since you asking this question and not just yanking them out they don't miss much school. If that's the case, you should definitely let them see the torch. One of the biggest problems I face as a teacher, is kids don't have enough experiences. The learning we do in school has to tie into what the kids learn in the real world. Unfortunately, so many kids spend their lives in from of TV and video games, they don't have the real world experience they need. So I say, bring them late.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:44 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Yes, being late is not all that bad. There is alot of learning that can be done out of school. That sounds like it would be such a great experience. They are lucky.
    peace1234

Answer by peace1234 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would take them to see the torch. Maybe the whole class could go if you mention it to the principal. It sounds like a great experience.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:09 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• talked to dh, he says take them. lol - just let the teachers know they'll be late for school.

There is a kid from my girls school that is running with the torch tonight, I know there's a party at school today for him.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:11 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• ha ha! and a change of plans! there's a busload of families going tonight to watch the student that goes to our school.

they won't have to miss any school now! but won't get to see gramma.....oh well!

as long as they get to experience the torch. it was too cold when it came into the city when we hosted in 88, so I didn't get to go.

now to make new dinner plans....
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Bring them late.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:24 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It is a once in a lifetime thing. Let them be late!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:39 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Let them be late, it is a once in a lifetime thing. I wouldn't even hesitate. I bet there will be more late kids to school that day. I would take lots of pictures too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• thanks all!

the torch is in our city for a few days - just making the rounds of the surrounding communities.

big party tonight downtown.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:21 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• What a great experience they will have. Not many kids can say they saw the Olympic torch.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 5:37 PM on Jan. 18, 2010