Do You Think Ex Wives.........

Should go back to their maiden names instead of keeping their ex husbands?

I personally do.Especially if the marriage ended badly. Why Would you want to keep his last name?

I think it's better just to get divorced and change ur last name and move on.

SweetPoison

Asked by SweetPoison at 2:42 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• agreed, but I still have yet to do so. I HATE the SS office!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I would want to have the same last name as my children. If they all had my maiden name, I'd go back to it. But I wouldn't give my ex the happiness of knowing his behavior was offensive enough to make me change my ID, SS card, and no longer share a last name with my children.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I didn't change my name until I remarried. Why? To keep it the same as my children's last names, because it's just easier all around when raising kids to have the same last name. Now that it's different I always have to explain whose mom I am when I'm sending out emails to their classes, or volunteering in the school, or introducing myself to other parents - it's just more of a hassle.
    If my children had been older when I divorced I would have gone back to my maiden name - I certainly didn't want any connection to him!

Answer by missanc at 2:46 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It would seem the easy thing to do, but it isn't always easy. Your assumption is very judgmental. Maybe the 2nd (or 3rd -5th) wife should "get over it" and realize that someone was Mrs. XYZ before her and deal with that.

She may have established a professional career with her married name. She may want to have the same last name as her children. Or she just might like the name better than her maiden name. Personally, you couldn't pay me enough to go back to my s.o.b father's last name.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I couldn't wait to get my maiden name back after I divorced my ex...but we didn't have kids together. I would think that some women might would want to have the same last name as their kids though...
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:47 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think it depends on the situation. When I got divorced I changed it back immediately. But we didnt have kids and I didnt have a reason to keep my married name. The only thing that upset about the name change was that I changed my name to his in July and we filed for divorce is December. Why would he let me go through the trouble if he wasnt planning to stay with me?
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 3:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• IF the couple has NO children then the wife should have no choice but to take her maiden name. With children the choice should be wife's IF she gets full custody of the children and have the choice of changing the children s name to HER maiden name also. WHY should her children s name,living in her home,be different than her chosen name? If the husband gets full custody of the children where they will be living with him then the choice should be up to HIM as to whether wife keeps his name of goes back to maiden name. JMO
    Kay2Kay

Answer by Kay2Kay at 3:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• My mom kept her married name so that she would have the same last name as us kids. I myself, however, went back to my maiden name after my divorce. My ex husband's last name is not associated to good things in this city so I changed it. I don't want to be associated with them people.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:12 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• because of my children. they have Married) last name, so I keep the name as my children have. anyway,I had that last name longer then my own (single) name.. I choose to keep it.
    Anonymous

• @KAYKAY no thats wrong, a wife always has a choice to keep the name or not, even if they had kids together,or not -full custody or not,she was married to him, she gets to keep the name regardless. I married a second time, so I hyphen the 2. XYZ-ZXY. Why give him and second wife any options-I'm the first and will always be the first. They have to deal with that..
    Anonymous