Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do i break up with my boyfriend?

I feel that the time to end my relationship with my boyfriend has come. I feel that him calling me names, being disrespectful towards me, and being controlling has become too much and it's time to move on. The problems is that I'm a college student, not working, and I have four children. I have no family, and no friends that can help. I just don't know how to even begin to break away from this relationship...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • First, go to Social Services and begin the process of getting help. Second, attempt to find a part time job on campus if you can. Third, have a friend with you when you tell him (for safety sake). Fourth, be prepared to move to another place.

    My daughter and one of my granddaughters each went through a break up which didn't go well.
    God bless.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • You're not married so he's not your family, he disrespects you, calls you names, and tries to control you. He's not your friend either. You're no worse off without him then you are with him.
    Just tell him that you're done and that it's time for him to go.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • I can't tell him to go. He owns the house. We all live in his house. We're not married, so my name isn't on the mortgage. When we split, I'll be the one that has to leave.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • If I would be the one that had to leave...first I would try my best to get a part time job to save and get my own place...then tell him I'm leaving him

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • You didn't mention if the children were his. If not, sign up for help like housing and PA. If they are you can still get assistance if he won't give you money to leave. See if your school or town has a Displace Homemaker's Program. They can help guide you. I'm happy to hear that you see it's not the way to live bc if you stay it's teaching your children that it's acceptable behavior. Once you have a plan then I'd tell him it's not working and that you think it's best that you move on. If he's a controller he won't take that well so expect more abusive words out his mouth. Mine liked to tell me that no one would want me and I couldn't make it on my own, etc. He was wrong.

    Answer by admckenzie at 3:01 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • the reason i'm currently in school is that i was in the displaced homemakers program at a local community college. i then transferred to an online university.. so my school is actually located in Florida, and I'm in Washington. Only one of the children are his, the other three are from a previous marriage.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • well just be like hey this isnt working out. i need to finish school. and i dont want to be with you any more. he has to pay you money each month for the one child that is his.

    Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

  • Just be honest with him. Tell him that you and your children can't live like this. It's heart breaking to hear someone say those things to you I can imagine. There is no point sugar coating it. Just get it over with. Good luck.

    Answer by Punky_1981 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.