Anyone have any great ideas how to lose weight?

I am having a hard time trying to drop 30 lbs after my 3 child and it is very frustrating. I know doing more then, leg lifts, side crunches and crunches will work, but I am having a hard time getting on that treadmill. I am also watching what I am eating and how much that I am eating, but man the older you get the harder it is to get rid of. Any other ideas?

jenhasthree

Asked by jenhasthree at 2:55 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Cut all sugar, corn syrup, white flour and prepackaged anything from your diet. Only eat real food prepared at home. Start walking outside, and playing outside. Get plenty of fresh air and sunshine.
    Anonymous

• keep a food diary.write down everthing you eat, you might be surprised about what you think you are 'not' eating. i have a wii that helps not only with cardio, but having fun with the kids. Schedule yor exercise in like you would a drs appt. JUST DO IT! LOL! :)
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:03 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• You only burn up 100 calories by walking for an hour so don't sweat the treadmill thing. I do hear ya on it being harder the older you get. I lost 50 lbs by doing weight training (light stuff like 2 lb weights), using resistance bands, stretches and changing my eating habits. I'm lazy. I didn't do all the cardio people try to convince you that you need. There is a reason they call it cardio and not weight loss.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:04 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Strength training is very important. Some people think the only way to lose weight is through cardio but that's not true. Cardio is important and good for your heart, but your body needs muscle. Muscle burns fat and speeds up your metabolism. I am using a program called Chalean Extreme and it is great. It is based on lifting heavy with few reps. Its a 90 day program split into 3 phases, I have lost alot of my body fat.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 3:20 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Lace up your sneakers and start walking everyday.
    Anonymous

• for diet, i like to focus on adding more good food, rather than taking away all my bad food. i like to get 5 veggies, and 2-3 fruits a day, and 2-3 liters of water a day. this alone leaves less room for junk. going outside for walks is good, you get fresh air and sunshine...something about the combo that can really get the weight loss going! weight training is good too!
    good luck with your weight loss goals!
    (also take body measurements, sometimes you can lose inches and no pounds...so measuring the body can prevent discouraging moments on the scale!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:08 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• Dance - it's great exercise!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:53 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• First, drink your water! At least 8 8oz glasses a day. Add a glass for every beverage you have with caffeine or alcohol
    Next, eat your fruits and veggies; 7-8 servings a day, in at least 3 different colors. Eat an apple or big pile of veggies before meals.
    Start replacing your white/simple grains (white rice, white pasta, white bread, you get the picture) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, barley, quinoa, whole grain bread, etc.).
    Now cut way back on (or eliminate) meat and dairy. Eat at least one serving of legumes a day: beans, lentils, tofu, etc.
    Eating healthy, combined with the great exercise that you are doing, will have you at a healthy weight in no time

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 AM on Jan. 19, 2010

• I know what you mean ... I'm almost 50 and I gained 20lbs when I started menopause. NOTHING helped until I joined Beachbody. Started doing the workout videos and nutrition plan that goes with it and the weight came off. And no hunger .. I was so impressed I became a Beachbody coach, so I get paid to help others get healthy.

I like the Slim in 6 and the Turbo Jam workouts for myself.

Here are some simple and FREE things you can do also.
    You can squeeze in a workout just about anywhere ...... when I'm driving in my car, I will suck in my stomach to the beat of the music (great for abs) ... you can dance around the house while cleaning (dancing works all muscles, and makes cleaning more fun).... if you sit at a desk, you can sit on an exercise ball instead of a chair (many women at my job are now doing this)
    Shoot me an email if I can be of assistance.
    MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 12:39 PM on Feb. 13, 2010