What learning to write in cursive really necessary?

Should it still be taught in schools?
Do you ever use it beyond your signature?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jan. 18, 2010 in Just for Fun

• It develops fine motor skills and can improve chicken-scratch looking printing as well. There won't always be a computer around to write something down. When I taught 3rd and 4th grade, I made sure to teach cursive, whether they used it in class, or not. It's still useful to know.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:18 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• *Was* not what, lol
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is important and should be taught. And yes, I do still use it.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 3:14 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• nope, I don't use it beyond my signature. It was useful when most notes and letters were hand written but when was the last time someone did that. This is a techno world now. There are more important things to teach.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:17 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• It is important and it should still be taught. My sons learned cusrive in elem. school (I homeschooled them) but since they each staretd scjool (in 10th, 9th and 7th grades) they haven't used it. They are now 23, 22, 19 and 18 and it's deplorable because aside from their signatures none of them can write in cursive and reading it is right up there with reading a foreign language. I started teaching them cursive in the 2nd grade.....but high schools rarely use it anymore with everything being done on the computer. It's sad!
    Anonymous

• BTW, I hand write letters every day and I still write in cursive. Every note I write to the school is in cursive. I rarely, if ever, use manuspript handwriting and I do not write letters on the computer and print them out.
    Anonymous

• Beyond my signature I don't ever use cursive. I use print for all my notes in school and write all the notes to my son's school in print. Everything else I do is done on a computer.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:22 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I think it should absolutely still be taught and yes I still use it. Penmanship is very important. I can't tell you how much bad penmanship says about you in the business world. Yes, many things are typed, but there is still plenty of hand writing still going on, and sloppy print that looks like it was done by a 2nd grader is embarrassing.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 3:26 PM on Jan. 18, 2010

• I had to teach cursive when I taught 3rd garde last year. I have to say I found it pointless. I NEVER, EVER write in cursive, except to sign my name. I had students cry over how hard it was, and others who just wrote so HORRIBLY in cursive, I couldn't garde their work. At that age some of them still didn't have proper PRINT down, which is why I didn't enjoy teaching it at all. Not to mention, we have computers in the classrooms here. A lot of their writing assignments are TYPED.
    Anonymous

• 3rd grade****
    Anonymous